Any of my regular readers (thank you!) know how much I LOVE a potato recipe...and this Warm Mustard Potato Salad is definitely a keeper!
The beauty of this salad is that it is really easy to pull together, but packs a punch in flavour! All you need to do is boil your potatoes, fry off some leek & bacon, add back the potatoes - give them a bit of love in the pan, add the dressing and you're done.
In fact you can even make the potatoes ahead of time. The photo you see here is actually potatoes that I boiled and cut the night before then left covered in the fridge - see my recipe notes for details.
Can you guess what I had for lunch today? No big surprise I guess - Warm Mustard Potato Salad! I know, SUCH a tough life...
Table of Contents
More potato recipes you may enjoy
Parmentier Potatoes - golden little nuggets of cubed potato, oven baked until they are crispy then sprinkled with a rosemary and lemon salt.
More entertaining recipes you may enjoy
Cob Loaf - turns the classic party Aussie bread bowl dip into double the fun! Two flavours in one with spinach dip on one side and cheese and bacon on the other!
Gin and Ginger Ale - a simple gin buck cocktail with fresh ginger and lime, then topped off with ginger ale, a great easy cocktail for your next party!
Warm Mustard Potato Salad
- 800 g chat / mini / baby potatoes (left whole)
- good pinch of salt
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large leek
- 4 streaky bacon rashers (I use hickory smoked - see notes)
- 15 g salted butter
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley leaves (loosely packed)
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoon french mustard
- 2 teaspoon garlic infused olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Bring the whole potatoes to the boil in a large saucepan with a good pinch of salt, and simmer for 10 mins - potatoes should be tender but not falling apart. Once cooked, drain and set aside to steam dry until cool enough (just) to handle - see notes.
- Meanwhile, slice leek and roughly chop bacon.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat, and fry bacon for 2 - 3 mins then remove to a small bowl (leaving fat in the pan) and set aside.
- Turn the heat down to medium low. Add butter to pan, then leeks & fry for 4 - 5 minutes until leeks are soft. Depending on how much fat was left from your bacon, add the remaining olive oil to the pan if needed.
- For the dressing, mix all ingredients in a small bowl to combine and set aside.
- Once potatoes are cool enough to handle, chop each potato into 8.
- When leeks are soft, add chopped potatoes to the pan along with the reserved bacon (plus any bacon fat!) and gently turn with a spatula for 1 -2 mins, then add dressing and continue to turn gently until dressing is well heated and incorporated.
- Remove from heat, and add parsley to serve.