Warm Lamb Salad with Pumpkin Tomato & Feta - a warm and filling salad of oven roasted pumpkin, tomatoes & capsicum (peppers) topped with spice rubbed lamb leg steak and a mustard pine nut dressing.
To be perfectly honest with you guys, a salad is not what I would pick to have for dinner. If I'm going to have a "salad" for dinner, it had better be a decent "meal in a bowl" kind of salad. A dinner salad. Is that a thing? If it isn't, then it should be!
Enter my version of a dinner salad - Warm Lamb Salad with Pumpkin Tomato & Feta - doesn't it look gorgeous?
Table of Contents
How to make this warm salad
This "dinner salad" is a cinch to throw together -
- Put your chopped vegetables in the oven to roast.
- Coat your lamb leg steaks in the spice rub, then fry them off.
- Take them out of the pan to rest, then add your dressing ingredients to the pan to warm through.
- Slice your lamb, then mix it together with the roasted vegetables and rocket.
- Top with dressing and feta, then eat!
This is definitely a salad worthy of standing alone on your dinner table tonight!
Other lamb recipes you may like
Amazing Slow-Cooked Pulled Lamb Shoulder - this recipe will give you moist, tender, pull apart lamb that is so soft it shreds with just two forks!
Moroccan Lamb Mince with Hummus - quick and easy spiced lamb with smooth creamy hummus, topped with fresh herbs. Dinner is done in 30 minutes!
Quick Lamb Ragu - a fast and tasty weeknight-friendly lamb ragu recipe, using lamb mince (ground lamb). Lamb ragu in 1 hour!
Warm Lamb Salad with Pumpkin Tomato & Feta
- 4 lamb leg steaks
- 350 g butternut pumpkin (butternut squash) (1 - 11/2 cm dice)
- 1 red capsicum (red pepper) (sliced into strips)
- 1 red (spanish) onion (sliced into wedges)
- 250 g mini tomatoes (halved - I used mini romas)
- 60 g baby rocket / arugula
- 2 lemons (juice only)
- 2 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts
- 100 g danish feta (crumbled)
- 2 teaspoon olive oil (plus extra for frying)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- Pre heat oven to 190c
- Pile the pumpkin, capsicum, tomatoes and onion wedges into the middle of a large baking tray. Drizzle with 2 teaspoon of olive oil, then mix with your hands to coat. Spread out the vegetables into an even layer on the baking tray, as well spaced as you can. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix together the mustard and lemon juice, then set aside.
- Combine all the ingredients for the spice rub, and evenly coat both sides of each lamb leg steak with the rub.
- Pan fry the lamb leg steaks over medium high heat using the extra olive oil, until cooked to your liking. Immediately turn the pan down to low, then remove the lamb to a plate to rest. Add pine nuts to pan and stir - they should start to colour almost straight away. As soon as they start to colour, switch off the heat, add the combined mustard & lemon juice, and continue stirring to heat through.
- Thinly slice the lamb leg steaks, and add any of the resting juices to your mustard & lemon dressing.
- Combine the now cooked roasted vegetables with the baby rocket (arugula) and divide amongst plates. Top with sliced lamb, crumble over feta then drizzle with mustard & lemon dressing.