For this recipe I have made a bit of a twist on the usual Baked Mozzarella Chicken Breast. I have added basil pesto and fresh tomato – but best of all I have added a crunchy pastry top!
I know, right? Crunchy, flaky, golden strips of pastry are what baked mozzarella chicken breasts have been missing all along! I was thinking the exact same thing!
How do you make Baked Mozzarella Chicken?
- Brush your chicken breasts with basil pesto – see Image (1).
- Place mozzarella slices on top of pesto. – see Image (2).
- Brush a little extra pesto on top of mozzarella slices – see Image (3).
- Top with slices of fresh tomato – see Image (4).
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper – see Image (5).
- Cut a sheet of frozen puff pastry into quarters, then each quarter into 4 strips and place on top of breasts – see Image (6).
- Tuck the end of pastry strips under the breasts slightly – you can stretch them a little if you need to – see Image (7).
- Bake for 20 mins or chicken is cooked through – see Image (8).
Totally unrelated…….. I’m so excited you guys…… I. MADE. A. VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yup – look out, I’m moving with the times!
AND, after a lot of research, googling, and some good old-fashioned “McGyvering” or for Australian readers a bit of “bush mechanics” (it did involve sticky-tape and a broom handle – one day I might share!) I managed to get there! *happy dance*
But true to form, it wasn’t totally plain sailing. If you decide to watch the video – it’s only about 58 seconds – don’t miss my awkwardness on display towards the end. I laughed so hard when I first saw it I decided to leave it in the final cut!
I’m pretty sure that Hollywood won’t be calling anytime soon…
Baked Mozzarella Chicken Breast with Pastry & Pesto
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 tbsp basil pesto see my notes for recipe
- 125 g fresh mozzarella ball thinly sliced
- 1 tomato thinly sliced
- salt & pepper
- Pre heat oven to 210c, and line a rimmed baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Take your pastry sheet out of the freezer to thaw while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Using a meat mallet (or something else heavy!) lightly pound out the thicker end of each breast, just to make them the same thickness all over.
- Place breasts on to the prepared tray, then spread 2 tsp of basil pesto onto each breast.
- Place overlapping slices of mozzarella on top of the pesto, then roughly spread another 2 tsp of basil pesto on top of mozzarella.
- Place overlapping slices of tomato on top of final pesto layer and sprinkle with salt and pepper, then set aside briefly.
- With a sharp knife, divide the sheet of puff pastry into quarters. Then cut each individual quarter into 4 even strips.
- Place 4 strips over each layered chicken breast leaving space between each strip, and lightly tuck the ends of the pastry under the chicken. It's ok to stretch it slightly if you need to. See video.
- Bake for 20 mins, or until chicken is cooked through.