Roast chicken with stuffing & gravy on a weeknight...can't be done you say? Just not enough time?
Well guess what? I have the solution - Chicken Mini Roast with Stuffing. PS: and gravy!!! Done in UNDER 1 HOUR!
"How?" you ask. Well, I have put together a homemade stuffing you will want to eat all by itself, then wrapped it in succulent chicken thighs (easily my favourite cut of chicken) THEN wrapped that little perfect little parcel in bacon.
Yes Bacon. It deserves a capital B. And as we know, everything tastes better with Bacon.
And gravy. Did I mention the gravy? Because a roast dinner needs gravy.
I don't want to toot my own horn/blow my own trumpet etc, but these are sooooo gooooooood!!!!!!!!! I was so proud of myself when I made them for the first time it was a bit ridiculous, I couldn't get over how good they tasted!!! ?
Here is a close-up of the stuffing inside.
Looks good, doesn't it?
If you love roast chicken but don't have time to make it (or carve it), then these little bad boys are for you.
Table of Contents
Chicken Mini Roast with Stuffing
- 4 skinless boneless chicken thighs - trimmed approx 500g - any thicker sections beaten out slightly
- 4 rashers streaky bacon rind removed
- 1 ¼ cup fresh bread crumbs - firmly packed I use sourdough
- 3 tablespoon salted butter - melted divided plus extra if required
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ tsp + a good pinch ground sage divided
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
- pinch fine salt
- 1 ½ tablespoon plain flour
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 8 toothpicks
- Pre heat oven to 180 c / 355 f fan forced. Line a low sided, rimmed baking tray/sheet with baking paper & set aside.
- Place breadcrumbs in a small bowl along with onion powder, garlic, ¼ teaspoon sage, thyme, marjoram & salt then mix lightly.
- Add 2 tablespoon melted butter to breadcrumbs and mix to combine well, then add beaten egg and mix until well combined.
- Place bacon rashers vertically on a clean work surface, then place one chicken thigh smooth side down on each rasher of bacon to form a cross or "+" shape.
- Take ¼ of breadcrumb mixture and compress with your hands to form a rough oval shape patty, then place patty in the center of the chicken thigh - the patty will run the same direction as the bacon.
- Bring up both sides of the chicken thigh to wrap around the patty, then bring up both ends of the bacon to cross over the top of the mini roast then secure each bacon end with a toothpick and place on prepared tray (see notes).
- Using a pastry brush, brush the remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter evenly over the mini roasts, and bake for 30 - 35 mins or until cooked through & stuffing has crispy edges.
- To make gravy, remove mini roasts from baking sheet/tray and keep warm, then carefully pour the remaining butter & pan drippings into a small saucepan, adding extra butter if needed & mix in the plain flour (see notes).
- Stir butter & flour mixture over low heat until mixture starts to look grainy & bubbly.
- Switch off the heat, then add stock in approximately ¼ cup amounts (stir well with each addition until there are no lumps before adding the next ¼ cup - once this mixture is the consistency of thin cream you can add the remaining stock.
- Add a good pinch of powdered sage & simmer until gravy has thickened slightly, taste & season if required.
- Remove toothpicks to serve if you wish, top with gravy & serve.
I haven't made these yet, but I intend to. Just wanting to point out that in the gravy specs, you say 500ml/1/2 cup, but 500ml is 2 cups, so it should say 125ml?
Nice pickup Catherine, thank you! I have just updated the recipe notes so they are correct (and a bit easier to follow too!). Thanks again, L x
Don't cook. When you make them freeze them, defrost and then cook normally. I love mini roasts easy meals
Can i make these bake them then freeze them?
If so would you recommend i defrost them then put them in the air fryer?
Hi Adreanna! Not something I’ve tried, but it sounds like it would work ok, all though the chicken may dry out.
Definitely will try this dish.