Simple AND tasty – that’s how I would describe this recipe. It’s a refreshing, no fuss salad that can be thrown together in just 15 minutes. Plus I’m also loving the combination of cucumber and avocado right now. Freshness in a bowl – add a bit of creamy dressing and you’ve got me.
And how magical are those colours? This Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad just looks like it would be good for you!
With a light sour cream dressing plus coriander / cilantro and a hint of chilli, it makes such a fresh, crunchy side for just about anything. Either as your veg side dish to match with tonight’s protein of choice, or for the next get-together / bbq / potluck / cookout etc.
Not a chilli fan? Go ahead and leave it out – it still tastes great!
Don’t like coriander / cilantro? Substitute fresh flat leaf parsley.
Avocado selection – I think avo selection is crucial for this recipe – but then I ALWAYS think avo selection is crucial! Ripe – of course, but not too soft or they will get really mushy.
BTW – you should see the look of fear that comes over my husband Peter’s face if I ask him to pick me up an avocado from the store – hilarious!
Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad
- 400 g cherry / mini tomatoes halved - any large ones quartered
- 2 medium cucumbers diced - I used lebanese
- 2 avocadoes diced
- 1/4 small red (spanish) onion very finely sliced
- 1 long red chilli very finely chopped - seeds & ribs removed
- 1/3 cup cilantro (coriander) leaves loosely packed
- 3 tbsp sour cream I used light
- 1 - 2 tbsp milk as needed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mix sour cream until smooth. Add milk a little at time to thin out the sour cream slightly, until you reach your desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, red onion, cilantro (coriander) and chilli - and toss very gently to mix.
- Drizzle oil & lemon juice over salad. Drizzle over sour cream dressing, sprinkle with more salt & pepper if you wish and serve immediately.