Lamb Kofta Wraps with Eggplant Yoghurt - these went down VERY quickly in this house!
Lamb is such a flavourful meat - you don't have to do much to it and it still tastes amazing! In this recipe I have combined the ground lamb (lamb mince) with some spices and formed them into kofta style patties on sticks. (Everyone likes food on sticks right?) You could cook these in a pan (as I did) or on the barbecue.
Perfect for that upcoming backyard get together - just cook your koftas then put them out along with your other pre-made ingredients and your guests can make their own. I guarantee the kids will love building them!
In the above photo I have made my own flatbread using the Easy Soft Flatbread (No Yeast) recipe from Nagi at www.recipetineats.com - please visit her site for the recipe. Just as the name suggests they were lovely and soft, didn't need yeast (or sugar) and are so easy to make.
You could of course just buy your favourite flatbread/pita bread - entirely your choice!
Either way these taste divine, chef not required...
Lamb Kofta Wraps with Eggplant Yoghurt
- 500 g ground lamb lamb mince
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tblsp fresh rosemary leaves - finely chopped or scant 1/4 tsp dried
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 eggplant about 300g
- 1 small clove garlic crushed/minced
- 3 tblsp greek yoghurt I use low fat
- 1 tblsp tahini sesame seed paste
- juice of 1 lemon about 2 tblsp
- salt to taste
- 200 g mini tomatoes quartered lengthways to serve
- 1/4 Spanish onion finely chopped to serve
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves chopped to serve
- 2-3 cups leafy greens I used rocket/arugula & baby spinach to serve
- 1/3 cup dry toasted pine nuts to serve (see notes)
- 4-8 rounds pita/flatbread to serve (see notes)
- 8 wooden/bamboo skewers
- Pre heat oven to 180c.
- Remove stem from eggplant and halve lengthways.
- Using a sharp knife cut a deep criss-cross pattern into cut side of eggplant - making sure not to cut all the way through.
- Place eggplant cut side up on an oven tray lined with baking/parchment paper, roast for 40 mins and let cool.
- Meanwhile add together ground lamb/lamb mince, ground coriander, ground cumin & rosemary, mix well with your hands to combine.
- Shape into 8 even sized balls, then roll into a long sausage shape, flatten slightly & wrap around wooded skewers, enclosing long edge well (see notes).
- Heat a non-stick pan (or barbecue) and cook koftas on medium high for about 10 mins - turning to browns all sides - or until cooked through.
- Using a melon baller or teaspoon, remove the flesh from the eggplant and add to a food processor, along with garlic, yoghurt, tahini, and lemon juice - process until smooth & add salt to taste & set aside.
- For salsa, combine mini tomatoes, Spanish onion & mint.
- Take one pita/flatbread, top with eggplant yoghurt, 1 or 2 lamb koftas, salsa, leafy greens & sprinkle with pine nuts and serve immediately.