Mashed potatoes - one of my favourite things in this world - if you have seen some of my previous posts you will know by now that I'm on a mission... to #pimpyourmash
My latest offering is Colcannon Mashed Potatoes. Basically fluffy, creamy mashed potatoes combined with fried cabbage. My version has garlic, leek & bacon as well.
The internet tells me that Colcannon is Irish (or Scottish?) in origin, but I am by no means claiming my version to be traditionally correct! As with all the dishes I make & then publish for you guys, I just go with what I (and therefore hopefully you!) think tastes good!
Go ahead, try my Colcannon Mashed Potatoes and #pimpyourmash - I bet you'll love it!
Colcannon Mashed Potatoes (Cabbage & Potatoes)
- 1 kg / 2.2lbs sebago potatoes chopped evenly
- 2 rashers streaky bacon roughly chopped
- 1/4 (about 500g / 17.5 oz) green cabbage very finely shredded (see notes)
- 1 leek finely sliced
- 1 large garlic clove crushed
- 3 tbsp sour cream I used light
- 1/3 cup milk (plus extra if needed)
- 3 tbsp salted butter divided (plus extra to serve if desired)
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper about 6-8 grinds of the pepper grinder
- 1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped chives (plus extra to serve if desired)
- Boil, steam or microwave the potato in salted water until tender, then drain and mash well & set aside
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of butter in a large non-stick fry pan & fry bacon for 2 mins, or until it begins to brown & the fat starts to render
- Add cabbage & leek to pan with bacon, and fry over medium heat stirring occasionally for 15 mins or until cabbage & leek are soft & cooked through
- Add garlic & pepper to pan & fry for a further minute, then add remaining 2 tbsp of butter & mix until melted then remove pan from heat
- Add sour cream & milk to the potato, mixing to melt & combine. Then add cabbage mixture & chives to potato & mix to combine then season with salt if needed (see notes)
- Top with extra chives & butter if using and serve immediately