My Chicken Crumble recipe is a quick and easy casserole of leftover rotisserie chicken and bacon topped with a buttery crumble that tastes like stuffing! Just like a chicken pot pie with crispy bread top!
This Chicken Crumble recipe is a great way to transform that leftover rotisserie chicken hanging around in the fridge or freezer into a quick and tasty weeknight dinner. The crumble topping tastes just like traditional chicken stuffing, but golden and crunchy and uses pantry staple dried herbs without the need for a pre-made stuffing mix.
Hidden underneath the buttery crumble top is a creamy casserole made from leftover roast chicken, plus smoky bacon. Again, I haven't used a packaged soup for the casserole base, but instead I've opted for a simple combination of flour, stock, and milk for a creamy base but without the cream.
Ingredients you will need for this recipe
- leftover shredded chicken
- olive oil
- brown onion
- plain/all-purpose flour
- dry white wine
- chicken stock
- garlic powder
- ground sage
- salted butter
- chunky day-old bread crumbs
- dried thyme
- onion powder
- dried marjoram
*Please see the recipe card below for exact quantities and detailed instructions
My top tips for making this recipe
- Any kind of savoury bread will do for the crumble.
- You could substitute a washed and chopped leek for the onion if you like.
Serving suggestions and ideas for add-ins
- You could serve this chicken and bacon crumble with a fresh green salad on the side to up the veg intake if you like.
- Add some frozen peas just before the chicken crumble goes into the oven.
- Sliced mushrooms would be a good addition too.
Other recipes you may enjoy
Creamy Chicken Pasta Bake - leftover roast chicken, smoky bacon and pasta all coated in a simple 2 ingredient cheese sauce.
Mini Chicken Roasts with Stuffing - roast chicken on a weeknight? The answer is my Chicken Mini Roast with Stuffing. Roast chicken, stuffing & gravy in under 1 hour!
Chicken Mornay Stuffed Potatoes - baked jacket potatoes loaded with a creamy mornay sauce made with leftover chicken, plus avocado, bacon & cheese.
Chicken Crumble Recipe
- 300 g leftover shredded chicken / rotisserie chicken
- 4 rashers hickory smoked bacon chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large carrot 1 cm / ⅓ inch dice
- 1 onion chopped
- ¼ cup plain / all purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 ¼ cups chicken stock
- ½ cup full cream milk
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp powdered / ground sage
- 70 g salted butter plus extra to grease
- 2 ½ cups chunky day old bread crumbs
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp dried marjoram
- ¼ tsp powdered / ground sage
- In a large heavy based pan or dutch oven (see notes) melt butter over medium heat.
- Add thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, marjoram & ground sage to butter and mix to incorporate.
- Add breadcrumbs to butter mixture then switch off heat. Mix well until the crumbs are well coated in the butter mixture, then remove crumbs from pan and set aside. Don't wipe out pan.
- Pre heat oven to 180 c ff / 355 f.
- Grease a 16cm x 21cm (6.5" x 8") baking dish if using (or a bit larger - see notes) and set aside.
- Take the same pan you fried the crumb mixture in, add 2 tsp of olive oil and put back over medium low heat.
- Add onion, carrot & bacon to pan and fry over medium low heat for 5 mins, or until carrot has started to soften.
- Add flour to pan and cook, stirring for 2 mins. You will start to develop a nice brown layer on the base of your pan.
- Add wine to pan and continue to stir for 1 min, scraping the layer from the based of the pan as you go.
- Add garlic powder, ground sage, chicken stock and milk to pan, stirring well to incorporate and bring to simmer
- Once simmering, cook uncovered over low heat for 10 - 12 mins, or until carrot is nearly cooked through. Mix through chicken.
- Add chicken mixture to prepared baking dish (if using) and smooth the top. Top with the breadcrumbs, and bake for 15 - 18 mins or until casserole is bubbling and stuffing topping is golden.