Only got 15 minutes to prepare dinner? Why not try my Lemon Feta Asparagus Orzo (Risoni) - a super quick, light and delicious pasta dinner just made for a busy weeknight!
This is the kind of dish that will be just about done in the time it takes to cook the pasta!
For anyone unfamiliar with orzo or risoni, it is a type of pasta which is shaped like a large grain of rice.
Here in Australia you can find it in the pasta aisle of your supermarket with all the other dried pasta, and it will be called risoni.
This asparagus orzo recipe is pretty simple:
- First you are going to put your pasta on to boil, meanwhile fry up your prosciutto in a little olive oil until it's nice a crisp.
- When your pasta has one minute to go chuck your asparagus into the boiling water with the pasta.
- At this stage I add the garlic to the fry pan with the prosciutto, then add the pasta & asparagus to the same pan when their time is up - and remember to reserve some of that pasta water!
- Toss in your extra oil, lemon juice, feta, black pepper and give it all a quick mix - then add some of the reserved pasta water to bring it all together.
- Top with fresh parmesan and then you're ready to sit down to a bowl of this...
I know summer is here guys and the weather is heating up, but this pasta dish is definitely summer-friendly. So quick and light, perfect for a quick dinner on a warm night when you don't want to spend your time standing at a hot stove.
Lemon Feta Asparagus Orzo (Risoni)
- 250 g dry orzo pasta (risoni)
- 8 thin slices prosciutto roughly torn
- 2 bunches mini asparagus - approx 40 spears in total each spear cut into thirds (see notes if not available)
- 2 garlic cloves crushed / minced
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil divided
- juice of 1 lemon
- 50 g danish feta plus extra to serve
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- fresh parmesan to serve
- Prepare orzo according to package instructions, minus 1 minute of cooking time.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tsp of olive oil in a large fry pan and fry prosciutto pieces until crisp.
- When pasta reaches the point where there would be 1 minute left, add chopped asparagus straight into boiling pasta and cook for a further minute and drain, reserving about 1/4 cup of the pasta water.
- Add garlic to fry pan with prosciutto and fry for 30 seconds, then add drained pasta & asparagus, feta, lemon juice, 2 tblsp olive oil & black pepper. Mix to incorporate and melt the feta slightly, then switch off heat.
- Add reserved pasta water to fry pan 1 tblsp at time to moisten pasta.
- Top with extra feta and fresh parmesan and serve.