This Sausage and Mushroom Ragu would really have to be one of the tastiest things I have ever made that only has 6 – YES 6 – ingredients! And all in one pot!
The combination of red wine and tomatoes makes such a rich sauce you won’t be able to get enough of it – I have served it here with Oven Baked Polenta which is literally BAKED IN THE OVEN!! so you don’t need to stir it constantly – yay! And it won’t spit at you – double yay!
So few ingredients but so much flavour - chunky sausages and mushrooms in a rich red wine and tomato sauce - all in one pot! Served with super easy Oven Baked Polenta
- 12 thick pork sausages - sliced in 6 or 7 even sized pieces
- 3 garlic cloves - crushed
- 200ml dry red wine
- 800g tinned tomatoes - crushed
- 600g button mushrooms - thickly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- OVEN BAKED POLENTA
- 1½ cups polenta
- 6 cups chicken stock - warmed in microwave
- 1½ cups hot water
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 100 g parmesan cheese - finely grated
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tbsp butter, plus extra to serve if desired
- Heat oil in a large heavy based pan, and fry sausages for about 10 mins or until browned all over.
- Remove to a plate lined with kitchen towel/paper.
- Carefully wipe excess oil from pan, and fry mushrooms for 5 to 8 mins until slightly browned.
- Add garlic and fry for 1 min, add wine and simmer for 1-2 mins.
- Add crushed tomatoes and bring to a simmer - add back sausages and cover and cook on a low simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove lid and cook on a low simmer for a further 45 mins or until thickened.
- For the OVEN BAKED POLENTA
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Place stock, water, polenta & salt in an large ovenproof dish, stirring to combine
- Bake uncovered for 55 mins
- Meanwhile, towards the end of the cooking time heat the milk in a microwave safe jug on high for 1 min
- Remove polenta from oven & stir to combine, then stir through parmesan, butter & warm milk, mixing until cheese melts
- Top with extra butter to serve if desired
The polenta makes 6 generous serves.