This Sausage and Mushroom Ragu would really have to be one of the tastiest things I have ever made that only has 6 - YES 6 - ingredients! And all in one pot!
The combination of red wine and tomatoes makes such a rich sauce you won't be able to get enough of it - I have served it here with Oven Baked Polenta which is literally BAKED IN THE OVEN!! so you don't need to stir it constantly - yay! And it won't spit at you - double yay!
Sausage and Mushroom Ragu with Oven Baked Polenta
- 12 thick pork sausages - sliced in 6 or 7 even sized pieces
- 3 garlic cloves - crushed
- 200 ml dry red wine
- 800 g tinned tomatoes - crushed
- 600 g button mushrooms - thickly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Oven Baked Polenta
- 1 ½ cups polenta
- 6 cups chicken stock - warmed in microwave
- 1 ½ cups hot water
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 100 g parmesan cheese - finely grated
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tbsp butter plus extra to serve if desired
- Heat oil in a large heavy based pan, and fry sausages for about 10 mins or until browned all over.
- Remove to a plate lined with kitchen towel/paper.
- Carefully wipe excess oil from pan, and fry mushrooms for 5 to 8 mins until slightly browned.
- Add garlic and fry for 1 min, add wine and simmer for 1-2 mins.
- Add crushed tomatoes and bring to a simmer - add back sausages and cover and cook on a low simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove lid and cook on a low simmer for a further 45 mins or until thickened.
For Oven Baked Polenta
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Place stock, water, polenta & salt in an large ovenproof dish, stirring to combine.
- Bake uncovered for 55 mins
- Meanwhile, towards the end of the cooking time heat the milk in a microwave safe jug on high for 1 min.
- Remove polenta from oven & stir to combine, then stir through parmesan, butter & warm milk, mixing until cheese melts.
- Top with extra butter to serve if desired.