Dates are one of my favourite foods, I think it has something to do with my obsession for caramel – dates are like mother nature’s version of caramel. Thank you. These cute little bites – my Spiced Fudge Date Squares – are like fudgy blocks of dark caramel with a fine biscuit crumb for added texture.
Perfect for an afternoon snack with a cuppa – no added sugar except for the biscuits (which let’s face it was going to happen anyway – now we have just added dates to it – no biggie)
Killer easy to make, just process/melt/mix/refrigerate/eat – rinse & repeat. You will love these, and hate me for introducing you to them…
Spiced Fudge Date Squares
Makes 36 squares
Fudgy date bites with a hint of spice
- 400 g dates
- 120 g salted butter
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 250 g Lotus Biscoff biscuits
- Grease and line a 20 x 20 cm/8 x 8 inch baking tin with baking/parchment paper with the sides overlapping (see notes).
- Place dates in a food processor, and process until finely chopped (see notes).
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Once butter has melted add dates and stir over a very low heat until the dates have absorbed the butter and thick date paste has formed - remove from heat & allow to cool for about 5 mins.
- Without washing, add the biscuits to the food processor and process until fine crumbs.
- Add egg to date paste, mixing quickly to incorporate fully.
- Place saucepan back over very low heat and cook stirring constantly for 2 mins.
- Add biscuit crumbs to date paste, mixing well to combine.
- Press date mixture into prepared pan, smoothing well with a silicon spatula (where you put it is where it will stay!) and refrigerate for 2.5 to 3 hours or until firm.
- Remove from pan and cut into squares.