One-pot wonder - tray bake dinner - sheet pan dinner - whatever you want to call it, it just works. Sausage Tray Bake with Spiced Vegetables, so quick & easy to prep, then put it in the oven. Love it.
I have used a ready made spice mix to flavour some of the veg, Ras El Hanout - a North African spice blend. Don't be intimidated by the name, I bought mine in the herb & spice section of my local supermarket. It's a time saver because you don't have to mess around with measuring individual spices, plus it is a real flavour bomb of so many exotic ingredients that either you couldn't buy singly or frankly can't justify the cost of buying even if you could!
And this is the finished product, just pile it on the plates and eat!
Quick and so simple to make, definitely no chef required for this one.
Sausage Tray Bake with Spiced Vegetables
- 450 g beef chipolatas / mini sausages usually 16
- 4 rashers streaky bacon - halved lengthways
- 400 g 4 medium coliban potatoes (see notes) chopped in 1 ½ cm / ½" rough dice
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Ras El Hanout spice blend
- 1 bunch dutch / mini carrots scrubbed, rinsed & trimmed (halve any large carrots lengthways for even cooking)
- ½ a medium red onion thickly sliced into half moons
- 1 medium zucchini halved lengthways (see notes)
- 250 g cherry tomatoes I used vine
- Pre heat oven to 200 c / 390 f (fan forced)
- Take a large low-sided baking tray/sheet pan & set aside (see note).
- In a medium bowl combine olive oil & Ras El Hanout spice blend, mxing to incorporate fully.
- Add chopped potato to bowl, turning to coat completely in oil mixture.
- Pour potato mixture on to sheet pan, shaking the pan to create a roughly even spaced layer.
- Use any leftover spiced oil to brush the cut side of the zucchini halves & set aside.
- Place potatoes in oven & bake for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, place two chipolata sausages side by side & wrap one piece of bacon around both sausages, tucking in the ends to secure lightly (use could also use toothpicks).
- Remove sheet pan from the oven, and add the sliced red onion to the potatoes, mixing & breaking up the onion slices as you go.
- Carefully push the potato & onion mixture into a pile on the sheet pan, and arrange the sausage & bacon bundles, carrots, zucchini halves & cherry tomatoes in a single layer around the potato mixture, turning the carrots lightly to coat in any excess spiced oil left on the sheet pan.
- Return to oven & bake for a further 20 - 25 mins or until veg is cooked.
- Divide between plates & serve immediately.