STOP THE PRESSES! HOLD THE FRONT PAGE! FOOD BLOGGING WIFE ACTUALLY GETS PUMPKIN HATING HUSBAND TO SAY “IT’S NOT BAD…I ACTUALLY LIKE THIS”……..OMG……..I will admit that I did put BACON with the pumpkin! But when I asked was it the bacon that did the job, I was informed that no – it was the sauce (read: “dressing” in non-husband language).Well there you go! Who would have thought it? Not me. Roast Pumpkin Bacon and Tomato – winner!!!
Pumpkin has a bit of history in our house – I won’t go into detail, but let’s just say that up until this recipe my husband Peter would only eat one of my pumpkin dishes if it was for the greater good – “I’m trying the recipe out for the blog, don’t worry you won’t have to have it again” that type of thing.
But…..now I have a pumpkin dish in the win column! Yay! It’s super simple too, one pan – or actually two unless you have a big oven & and baking tray to match!
Bake the pumpkin, tomatoes, onion & bacon in the oven – take them out then drizzle with the dressing, throw on some basil & you’re done.
Do you have a pumpkin hater in the house? Maybe try my Roast Pumpkin Bacon and Tomato – you never know your luck!
Roast Pumpkin Bacon and Tomato
- 3 tsp olive oil divided
- 800 g pumpkin - I used butternut peeled, seeded & chopped into 2 cm / 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 small red/spanish onions
- 4 rashers streaky bacon
- 400 g mixed cherry/mini tomatoes
- 1/2 cup basil leaves firmly packed - with some reserved for serving
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp garlic infused olive oil
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- salt & pepper
- You will need 2 rimmed baking trays/sheets for this recipe, unless you have a really big oven with a tray to match!
- Pre heat oven to 190c ff / 375f
- Place chopped pumpkin on the first baking tray in a bit of a pile, drizzle over 2 tsp of olive oil then mix with your hands to coat pumpkin well with oil then spread out pumpkin on baking sheet as well spaced as you can, sprinkle over salt & pepper to taste and roast for 15 mins
- Meanwhile, peel & cut each spanish onion into 12 wedges, roughly chop the bacon, and halve any large cherry/mini tomatoes but leave the others whole
- Take the second baking tray, place the onion, bacon & tomatoes in a pile on the tray, drizzle over 1 tsp of olive oil then mix with your hands to coat then evenly spread out vegetables on baking sheet, sprinkle over salt & pepper to taste
- After 15 mins, rotate baking tray of pumpkin in the oven if it needs it, then add second baking tray of vegetables and bake everything for a further 25 mins
- While the vegetables are roasting, make the dressing by combining mustard, lemon juice, garlic infused olive oil and red wine vinegar
- When cooking time is up, combine pumpkin with other vegetables, adding basil leaves & dressing, mixing lightly to combine if needed then serve topped with extra basil