Check these out!!!... fresh hot bread from scratch in just 35 minutes!!!
Soft tender garlic bread rolls without yeast. These are so easy to whip up, packed with a combination of cheese & garlic and cooked up in a muffin tin.
I use some mozzarella for stretch, with cheddar/tasty & parmesan for flavour. I also added chives to the dough, but you could leave these out or substitute any herbs you like, or I have also sprinkled chopped herbs over the cheese & garlic before I roll up the dough as well.
I deliberately wrote this recipe without much by way of herbs included because I wanted you to see these rolls as a bit of a "blank canvas" so to speak which you can make as-is (which is great too!) or leave out the chives & add in herbs or spices that are your favourites. If you are looking for ideas...
- Parsley - a classic of course
- Harissa paste - added to the butter for a chilli hit
- Oregano & thyme
- Basil & fresh chilli
You get the idea - whatever takes your fancy!?
Quick Garlic Rolls (No Yeast)
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour - sifted
- Plain/all-purpose flour for dusting
- 3/4 cup 200g plain greek yoghurt
- 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp. finely chopped chives optional
- pinch fine salt
- 1 tbsp. butter softened
- 2 garlic cloves crushed/minced
- 1/3 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar/tasty cheese
- 2 tbsp. finely grated fresh parmesan divided
- Pre heat oven to 180c.
- Lightly spray a 12 hole muffin tin with cooking/non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together olive oil & yoghurt.
- Add flour, salt & chives (if using) and mix to combine (it will still look dry - this is ok).
- Using your hands, bring the dough together in the bowl until it forms a rough ball.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly.
- Roll out dough into a rectangle approximately 20 cm x 40 cm - try to make the dough as even in thickness as you can. Also you can tear a piece of dough from one edge to fill a gap in another edge - just press the dough together (see notes).
- Make sure the rectangle has a long edge facing you.
- Combine the garlic & butter (and harissa or other spices if using), and spread the garlic mixture evenly over the dough - I use a silicone mini spatula for this.
- Combine mozzarella, cheddar & 1 tbsp. of parmesan and sprinkle evenly over the garlic mixture - at this stage you could sprinkle on extra herbs if you want.
- Roll up your dough into a long spiral, like for cinnamon rolls or a jam roll, starting with the long edge closest to you.
- Trim both ends of your roll slightly - just to make a nicer edge.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the roll in half, then cut each half in half again - you should now have 4 short rolls.
- Now divide those 4 short rolls into 3 even pieces.
- Place one roll, cut side down into each muffin hole.
- Sprinkle top of rolls with 1 tbsp. of parmesan.
- Bake for 15mins & serve immediately.