This Pumpkin Avocado Feta Salad is my version of a salad that my niece Beck & her husband Rob have brought to a few family gatherings - credit where credit is due! It is always the salad I go for first! Once you taste it I think you will know why it's my favourite.
It's a lovely combination of sweet pumpkin, salty feta & creamy avocado - with a sprinkle of pine nuts for crunch.
The sweet butternut pumpkin matches so well with the creamy avocado & lemony-salty flavour of the feta - and then topped off with the crunchy popcorn-like taste of pine nuts and a slightly sharp vinegar & mustard dressing.
I have to confess that when it comes to salads, I like the ratio of lettuce/greens vs other yummy things to be very heavily weighted in favour of "other yummy things".
I like to get a little bit of everything it each mouthful too - after all that's why I have put these ingredients together in this pumpkin feta salad - because they taste good together! Too much lettuce tends to get in my way!
Pumpkin Avocado Feta Salad
- 600 g butternut pumpkin - cut into 2 cm or ¾" cubes (see notes)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 large ripe avocado - cubed
- 80 g danish feta - crumbled
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 60 g baby rocket/arugula roughly torn if needed
- 60 g baby spinach leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp dijon mustard
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 200 c / 390 f (fan forced)
- Toss pumpkin in olive oil with salt & pepper, then spread pumpkin in a single layer on baking tray & bake for 15 mins, then flip pumpkin over & bake for a further 15 mins or until brown around the edges & cooked through (see notes)
- While pumpkin is baking, in a medium serving bowl add rocket/arugula, baby spinach & avocado, and mix gently to combine slightly
- In a small fry pan without oil, toast pine nuts until golden (watch them as they can burn quickly!) then remove to a bowl straight away or they will continue to colour
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small jar and shake well, then adjust to taste
- Add pumpkin, feta and half the pine nuts to greens in serving bowl along with about half of the dressing and mix gently again to combine (I use my hands)
- Sprinkle remaining pine nuts over the top, drizzle with remaining dressing & serve