Yes…it DOES taste as good as it looks!!! Puff Pastry Tomato Tart – it will make you look like an absolute kitchen boss taking this beauty out of the oven…but SO SO easy to make!!! (Just keep that part to yourself – a girl needs some mystery!)
The pastry stays flaky thanks to a light layer of breadcrumbs, and the oven does the rest of the work.
Finishing it off with some basil leaves scattered ever so casually on top, and a some crumbled feta cheese to complete the picture…well…you get it…it just looks so spectacular, but all you did was defrost some pastry, poke some holes in it, spread it with some stuff, chuck tomatoes and prosciutto on top and bake…ta da!!!
Chef Not Required…
Puff Pastry Tomato Tart
- 250 g mini tomatoes I used a mixture of heirloom & grape
- 2 thin slices prosciutto roughly torn
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup panko Japanese breadcrumbs
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (see notes)
- 50 g danish feta crumbled
- basil leaves to garnish
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pre heat oven to 200c.
- Line a baking tray with baking/parchment paper, and place frozen pastry sheet on paper to begin to defrost.
- Cut tomatoes in half lengthways - cut any larger ones into quarters lengthways.
- Sit tomatoes on kitchen towel/absorbent paper to drain slightly - give them a gentle mix to help the process along.
- Take a small sharp knife and score a square border about 1 1/2 cm or 1/2 inch from the edges of the pastry, being careful not to cut all the way through.
- Take a fork and "dock" the pastry - a fancy name for making lots of little holes in it - right up to (but not over) the scored edge (these holes can go all the way through the pastry) - see my photos at the the end of the recipe for an example.
- Evenly spread the mustard over the pastry, leaving the border.
- Sprinkle the panko crumbs evenly over the mustard, again leaving the border.
- Place tomatoes, cut side up, in an even layer of the pastry, again - you guessed it! - leaving the border.
- Tuck prosciutto shreds in between tomatoes at random intervals.
- Bake for 25 mins or until pastry is puffed and golden.
- Top with crumbled feta and basil leaves, salt & pepper to taste then serve immediately.