This recipe for Potato and Fennel Gratin gets an A+ for both taste AND simplicity!
Vegetables coated in a rich cheese sauce √√√
Vegetables coated in a rich 2 INGREDIENT cheese sauce √√√√√√√√√√√√√√
Who doesn't love veggies in a creamy, cheesy sauce? I didn't think so. This Potato and Fennel Gratin is a quick cheat's version - no need to stand there stirring a saucepan full of bechamel. Just mix up the sauce and pour it on! Couldn't be simpler. And tastes great!
Check out that crispy looking top...looks good doesn't it? (Not much work to that part of the recipe either!)
This is one of those dishes that looks fancy, but it's deceptively simple to put together. Perfect for a weeknight side dish, but also works for a dinner party to impress.
Potato & Fennel Gratin
- 500 g small red-skinned potatoes cut into 8 wedges
- 1 baby fennel bulb cut into 8 or 10 wedges (see notes)
- 3 tbsp water
- 200 ml pure cream
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 60 g fresh parmesan grated - divided
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup chunky day old bread crumbs
- Pre heat oven to 200c ff / 390f.
- Place wedges of potato & fennel on to a baking tray with sides approx 3cm / 1 ¼" high. (See notes) Pour in water, then cover tightly with foil and bake for 40 mins.
- Meanwhile to make the cream sauce, combine cream, garlic powder, mustard, 50g of grated parmesan and salt & pepper in a jug and mix to combine - then set aside.
- To make the crumb, mix together the bread crumbs and remaining 10g of parmesan cheese and set aside.
- Remove potatoes from oven, and carefully remove foil - steam will escape.
- Spoon the cream mixture over the potatoes and fennel, in particular the high spots, then sprinkle over the crumb mixture.
- Grill / broil for 7 - 10 mins (see notes) or until cream sauce is bubbling.