This thick Potato Bacon Corn Soup with Prawns is definitely a meal in a bowl. So luscious and creamy, without any cream in sight!
Just thickened with potatoes, milk and a touch of butter.
If I am going to have “soup” for a main meal – it had better be thick and satisfying. Done.
I have included paprika to give the soup a lovely smoky flavour, and then upped the taste level again by adding prawns/shrimp. You won’t feel hungry after polishing off a bowl of this!
I serve my Potato Bacon Corn Soup with some crusty bread on the side for dunking/scooping/mopping – you get the idea!
Potato Bacon Corn Soup with Prawns (Shrimp)
- 16 - 24 fresh prawns (depending on size) shelled, cleaned & deveined
- 4 rashers streaky bacon roughly chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 tsp olive oil divided
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 200 g peeled & chopped coliban potato 1 1/4 cm or 1/2 inch dice
- 1 cup milk I use full cream
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- crusty bread to serve optional
- In a large heavy based pot/dutch oven heat 1 tsp of olive oil and fry bacon for 4-5 mins until the fat starts to render and the bacon starts to crisp, then remove bacon from pot and set aside (leave fat in pot)
- Add butter to the same pot along with the onion and fry over medium low heat for 3-4 mins or until onion starts to soften, then add tomato paste & garlic and fry for a further minute
- Add wine, scraping the base of the pot to release the spots of flavour then bring to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 2-3 mins or until reduced by about half
- Add stock, milk, chopped potato, fresh thyme, oregano, smoked paprika and sweet paprika then bring to a simmer.
- Simmer partially covered with a lid (or a baking tray, fry pan etc) over medium low heat for 20 mins or until potato is tender and cooked through when tested
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tsp of olive oil in a non stick pan, and fry prawns/shrimp for 1-2 mins on each side or until just cooked through then immediately remove from heat and set aside
- When potato is cooked, remove soup from heat, and using a potato masher break up the potatoes into smaller pieces (right in the soup) then using an immersion/stick/handheld blender, blend soup until smooth and creamy (see notes)
- Put pot (with soup still inside but now blended) back on the stove over medium heat and bring to a slight simmer. When the mixture starts to bubble add frozen corn & reserved bacon, continuing to heat until corn is cooked - usually only 2-3 minutes
- Add prawns to soup to reheat, then ladle into bowls and serve immediately with crusty bread