This Prosciutto Grilled Cheese Sandwich is an Italian style grilled cheese with fresh tomatoes, basil pesto, lots of fresh mozzarella cheese all wrapped in prosciutto then grilled until crisp!
OK, so you’ve got a craving for a good old toasted cheese sandwich. What if I suggested a gourmet grilled cheese sandwich? My Prosciutto Grilled Cheese Sandwich is just that!
In terms of flavour, think Italian style grilled cheese sandwich with caprese flavours. Fresh tomatoes, garlicky basil pesto plus lots of fresh mozzarella cheese. Plus my fancy, gourmet (super easy!) twist – I wrap the sandwich in prosciutto before toasting it! I. Love. This. Sandwich.
So let’s get our grill on!
Ingredients you will need for this gourmet grilled cheese
- salted butter
- fresh mozzarella
- fresh tomato slices
- basil pesto
- salt & pepper
How to assemble this prosciutto grilled cheese sandwich
First, you are going to butter your bread, right to the edges and set aside. Then lay out one piece of prosciutto on a clean work surface to build your sandwich.
Next, take one of the buttered slices of bread and place it butter-side down in the centre of the prosciutto. Top the bread with one layer of sliced mozzarella.
Then spread basil pesto roughly over the mozzarella, top with tomato slices and salt and pepper.
The next step in optional – but I like to add another layer of mozzarella slices! Yes – double cheese! Then top with the remaining slice of buttered bread, but this time butter-side up.
Lastly, lay a second piece of prosciutto over the sandwich, then fold the ends to seal. The prosciutto should stick to itself quite well. All done! Then get grilling – I use a panini press to grill mine.
My top tips for making this grilled cheese sandwich
- I like to put a second layer of mozzarella on my sandwich, but this is just my preference! You could go for just one!
- You can use store-bought basil pesto, or you can make your own pesto with my basil pesto recipe. If you make your own, you won’t go back!
More prosciutto recipes you may like
Lamb Chops with Prosciutto – tender juicy lamb cutlets brushed with basil pesto then wrapped in prosciutto.
Bruschetta Prosciutto Pasta – the traditional flavour & crunch of tomato and basil bruschetta as a pasta dish, with prosciutto.
More cheesy pesto recipes you may like
Cream Cheese Pesto Chicken – moist tender chicken breasts topped with cream cheese and basil pesto then oven-baked for a quick low-carb dinner.
Baked Mozzarella Chicken Breast with Pastry & Pesto – take your baked mozzarella chicken up a notch by adding pesto and a crunchy pastry top!
Pesto Mozzarella Pasta Salad – the traditional taste of caprese salad, with an extra flavour boost from basil pesto and prosciutto.
I hope you enjoy my fancy grilled cheese recipe! Do you like to fancy-up your grilled cheese? Let me know in the comments!
Prosciutto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 slices bread I use just plain, fresh white bread
- 1 tbsp salted butter soft
- 4-8 slices fresh mozzarella (see notes)
- 4-6 slices tomato
- 2 tsp basil pesto (see notes)
- 2 slices prosciutto very thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- Butter each slice of bread on one side, all the way to the edges then set aside.
- Place one slice of prosciutto onto your work surface, then place one slice of buttered bread on top - butter-side down.
- Top the bread with sliced mozzarella, then spread the basil pesto (2 tsp) roughly over the cheese.
- Top with sliced tomato and season with salt and pepper, then top with an additional layer of sliced mozzarella if using.
- Place second slice of buttered bread on top, butter-side up.
- Place the second slice of prosciutto over the top of the sandwich, then fold the ends of prosciutto over each other to enclose.
- Heat a panini press, then grill sandwich until cheese has melted and the prosciutto is crisp.
- I like to put a second layer of mozzarella on my sandwich, but you could go for just one!
- You can use store-bought basil pesto, or you can make your own pesto with my basil pesto recipe. If you make your own, you won't go back!