Sometimes the simple things are the best things - like this Parmesan Olive Oil Herb Dip. It is packed with gorgeous fresh herbs and savoury parmesan cheese, with a subtle garlic overtone. No chunks of garlic, I wanted to have a dip that had a hint of garlic without being overpowering.
Don't get me wrong - I like read:love garlic - but I know that like all things in life, not everyone has the same tastes.
So this dipping oil is more focused on the other ingredients, being herbs & parmesan cheese, where the garlic is more of a background note.
Just picture yourself getting a hunk of bread and dredging it through this glistening golden pool of herbed oil that has been lightly infused with garlic.
How silly did those last two sentences sound? Background notes? Glistening golden pool? Who am I kidding? It's just a dipping oil with parmesan and garlic that doesn't taste too garlicky! I think I can actually hear Nigella Lawson's voice in my brain saying all that! Sounds good when I hear her say it (in my mind!) but when I say it...well...let's just say it's not quite the same.
That's enough talking, on to the recipe!
Parmesan Olive Oil Herb Dip
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 fresh garlic cloves see notes
- ¼ cup fresh flat leaf/italian parsley firmly packed
- ¼ cup fresh oregano leaves loosely packed
- 15 g fresh parmesan finely grated (approx ¼ cup)
- Peel & core the garlic cloves (I talk about "coring" your garlic in my free ebook - see box in the side bar under About Me for details) and cut garlic in to at least quarters (see notes) and place in a small bowl, then cover with the olive oil and leave to infuse for about 5 mins
- While the garlic is infusing in the oil, finely chop the parsley and oregano
- On your serving plate (I suggest something fairly flat) combine chopped herbs and freshly grated parmesan and mix lightly to combine
- Remove chunks of garlic from the olive oil, pour garlic infused oil over the herb mixture and serve with bread of your choice