My last post for those of you playing along at home was for my Easy Ricotta Gnocchi. Well. Now I give you a quick & super tasty sauce to put with it...Mushroom Gnocchi with Meatballs. Ok, cheat's meatballs aka pork sausages out of their casings. See, I told you it would be quick.
For some added texture in the dish I have used a mixed variety of mushrooms - shiitake, oyster, king brown, button/cup & portobello. Feel free to use whatever variety you want/find, as long as they are meaty firm mushrooms.
I have to be honest and say that the oyster mushrooms are probably the most delicate of the line-up, and while they tasted great, they weren't exactly ready for their close-up if you know what I mean - so I left them out of the photos and just ate them instead! (see my notes)
If you have read some of my previous recipes you will know that I love to use good quality sausages to cut down on my prep time - all the chopping/mixing etc is done for you.
You also get a nice smoky hit of flavour from some roughly chopped pancetta. For a cheaper alternative you could use smoked bacon instead.
The timing mentioned in this recipe is for pre-made store bought gnocchi - I thought this would be just easier, seeing as though you could also pair this versatile sauce with pasta, or even serve it over creamy mashed potatoes. I do say that I highly recommend it with the homemade ricotta gnocchi, but we all have different tastes/time pressure so feel free to go whichever way you like!
If you plan to make my Easy Ricotta Gnocchi for this dish, see my notes at the end of the recipe for timing.
Please enjoy my Mushroom Gnocchi with Meatballs,
Mushroom Gnocchi with Meatballs
- 450 g good quality pork sausages
- 400 g mixed mushrooms - thickly sliced - I used shiitake oyster, king brown, button/cup & portobello
- 80 g mild pancetta - roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 garlic cloves - crushed
- 2 tsp french mustard
- 500 g store-bought gnocchi or make your own with my Easy Ricotta Gnocchi
- grated fresh parmesan for serving
- fresh thyme optional for serving
- Squeeze sausage meat from casings & form into bite size rustic meatballs.
- Heat a non-stick fry pan over medium high heat & fry meatballs for 4 - 5 mins,or until just cooked, remove the meatballs to a plate & carefully wipe out any excess fat in the pan using kitchen towel/paper (see notes).
- Turn the heat down to medium low & add pancetta to pan, frying for 2 mins or until browned and add to plate with meatballs.
- Add mushrooms to pan along with butter and fry for 4 - 5 mins, or until mushrooms start to colour & soften.
- Cook store-bought gnocchi (if using) according to packet directions (see notes).
- Turn the heat up to medium high, add wine, mustard & garlic to pan & bring to a rapid simmer - simmer until wine has reduced by half.
- Add back meatballs & pancetta, mixing to heat through.
- If serving with gnocchi, add the cooked gnocchi to the pan along with 1 - 2 tbsp of gnocchi cooking water to thicken the sauce.
- Serve immediately topped with fresh thyme & parmesan.