Luscious, creamy (but relatively healthy!) layered avocado dip. I made this yesterday to take along to an Australia Day barbecue/cookout - a "barbie" as we call it here in Australia! - last night, and it went over without a problem!
And just check out the side view of all those lovely layers of hummus, avocado, and sour cream with greek inspired salad layers as well...
This dip is styled after the popular 5 layer, or 7 layer dips you have probably seen. Even though I wanted to include avocado, I decided not to go the mexican route and opt for fresh greek style flavours instead. I don't think avocados are greek, but they just taste good with all the other ingredients!
How do you make a layered dip?
- Spread an even layer of hummus into a glass dish (I find a small silicon spatula works best for the creamy layers) - image 1.
- Spread over a layer of mashed avocado mixed with a little lemon juice - image 2.
- Top with half of the diced tomato, cucumber, and finely chopped parsley - images 3, 4 & 5.
- Sprinkle over half of the finely chopped red onion, feta & pine nuts - images 6, 7 & 8.
- Place the sour cream in dollops on top of the salad layer, then spread to cover - image 9.
- Last step is to top the sour cream layer evenly with the remaining tomato, cucumber, red onion, feta and pine nuts - see image 10.
Top tips for making a layered dip.
- No suitable glass dish? No problem! Just build up the dip layers on a large plate, making each layer a little smaller than the last, like tiers on a wedding cake - that way all your lovely layers will still be on display!
- This recipe is not just for dipping as the name suggests, it also doubles as a great side dish - which is exactly how it was eaten at our Australia Day barbecue. Due to time issues I knew we would miss the pre-dinner nibbles, but would make dinner - so a dinner side dish it was!
I really hope you enjoy this simple, but stunning dip!
Layered Avocado Dip
- 1 x 200g tub of store bought hummus (7oz) I used low fat
- 2 ripe avocados
- 250g mini roma tomatoes (9oz) finely diced then drained on paper towel
- 150g mini cucumbers (5oz) finely diced - approximately 5 - then drained on paper towel
- 100g danish feta (3.5oz) crumbled
- 250g light sour cream (9oz)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ small red onion/spanish onion very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
- ¾ cup fresh parsley leaves - firmly packed finely chopped
Watch me make this recipe
- In a glass dish (see notes for measurements) spread the hummus in an even layer over the bottom of the dish - I use a mini silicone spatula for this.
- Remove the skin and seeds from the avocados then add to a small bowl, along with the lemon juice and mix/mash until roughly smooth. Spoon the avocado mixture on top of the hummus, and spread evenly.
- Scatter over half of the diced tomatoes, half of the diced cucumber, half of the finely diced red onion, half of the feta and half of pine nuts.
- Place the sour cream in dollops evenly over the tomato/cucumber layer, and carefully spread out to an even layer.
- Scatter over the remaining tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, feta and pine nuts.
- Serve as a dip with crackers or as a side dish.