A meatball sub, but with my fresh Aussie lamb twist - a Lamb Meatball Sandwich. I bet all you lamb lovers out there (like me!) like the sound of these. Trust me, they taste awesome!
I don't know if there are many variations on this kind of sandwich/sub out there on the world wide web - I couldn't find many, but maybe that's just my poor googling skills. My idea was to make a meatball sub with the traditional bread bun, but instead of beef I wanted to use lamb with a tasty little salad rather than the usual marinara/tomato sauce.
I decided not to mess with the cheese side of things though - after all - it's cheese - any way you slice it (ha!) it's good.
The sandwiches in these photos don't have much sauce on them, this was just so you could see the other ingredients. Purely for demonstration purposes - I use MUCH more sauce when I eat them (I love me some sauce) - see the recipe for my amounts.
And it's a quick meal - done in just 35 mins. With a little help from a meatball hack I learnt from Jamie Oliver - flavour your meatballs with pesto! Genius! Why didn't I think of that? His were beef meatballs, but it got me thinking.
All of the ingredients of a traditional basil pesto individually match with lamb extremely well flavour wise, so why not just add pesto to the lamb mince? Like I said - genius - I suppose that's why he gets paid the big bucks though!
Let me know what you think of my Lamb Meatball Sandwich...
Lamb Meatball Sandwich
- 500 g/1.1lbs lamb mince/ground lamb
- 1 tbsp basil pesto
- 4 long bread rolls split lengthways but leaving a slight join - see notes
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves - loosely packed
- 200 g/7oz cherry/mini tomatoes
- 1/4 small red/spanish onion
- 1/4 cup sour cream I use light
- 2 tbsp buttermilk see notes
- 1/4 tsp powdered garlic
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- Add pesto to lamb mince and mix well to combine - I use my hands for this, then shape mince mixture into 20 even sized balls (see notes) and refrigerate
- For the salad chop cherry tomatoes into quarters, finely chop the red onion. Combine tomatoes, onion & mint leaves in a small bowl & set aside
- For the sauce combine sour cream, buttermilk & powdered garlic in a small bowl & set aside as well
- Place a large non-stick frying pan/skillet over medium high heat, then fry meatballs for 7-8 mins turning frequently as they cook, until they are browned all over and cooked through (see notes)
- Pre heat the grill/broiler and toast the cut side of the bread rolls slightly
- When meatballs are cooked, lay 2 slices of swiss cheese on each bread roll, place 1/4 of salad evenly along roll, then top with 5 meatballs - nestling the meatballs slightly into the salad then repeat for remaining rolls
- Place sandwiches under the grill/broiler for 1-2 mins to melt cheese slightly
- Top with sauce & serve immediately