Once again I will admit that this is not the most beautiful plate of food I have put up, but...these Homemade Chicken Sausages taste sooo good, much better than they look!
Super simple to make, just mix it all together, roll them up and fry them off. The lovely herby/cheesy chicken pairs up so well with the prosciutto wrap.
You also get some lovely crispy cheese bits on the outside too - just be careful because those bits will be the first to burn!
The best part is you know exactly what has gone into them. No ingredients on a package that you've never heard of, or that doesn't sound like real food!
Homemade Chicken Sausages
- 500 g chicken mince
- 1 small egg lightly beaten (see notes)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves finely chopped
- 3 tbsp smooth ricotta I use low fat
- 1 cup fine fresh breadcrumbs
- Zest of 1 lemon finely grated
- 4 thin slices prosciutto (see notes)
- salt to taste (see notes)
- In a medium bowl mix together herbs, zest and breadcrumbs.
- Add ricotta and egg to crumb mixture and mix to combine.
- Add chicken to ricotta and crumb mixture, mix with hands until completely combined.
- Using damp hands, shape chicken mixture into 8 rough rectangular shapes (depending on the moisture level in your chicken mince you may need to refrigerate the mince mixture for 15min before shaping).
- Place one slice of prosciutto on a clean work surface, and with a very sharp knife cut in half lengthways & set aside - repeat for 3 remaining slices.
- Wrap one half slice of prosciutto at an angle around one chicken sausage & set aside - repeat for remaining sausages (see photo).
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and cook sausages for 5mins on each side, then turn each sausage half-over (to cook the third side) and fry for 1min, then repeat for 4th side.
- Serve immediately with salad or veg (or both!) on the side.