Pan Fried Garlic Asparagus - a super fast and healthy side, start to finish in 12 minutes!
Add some crunchy garlic crumbs and I'm in asparagus heaven!
This recipe really couldn't be much easier, but looks pretty as a picture on the plate. Definitely a Martha Stewart / Good Housekeeping moment - you know... "ooooh! it's just something I threw together!" that kinda thing...
The secret to this dish is knowing when your asparagus are cooked, before they get overcooked - unless that's the kind of asparagus you like!
My easy test for knowing if your asparagus is done? Using a set of tongs, literally pick up a spear out of the pan and give it a bit of wiggle. If it doesn't bend slightly when you wiggle it then it's not done yet - put it back in. But not for long, maybe 30 seconds or so, they cook really quickly!
Once your spears start to get a little bit of movement it's time to add your garlic & crumbs, because you're done. Switch off the heat, and give it all a stir - the residual heat in the pan will finish the job. Your garlic asparagus is ready to eat!
Other recipes you may enjoy
Garlic Butter Sauce - the ultimate fast and tasty 5 minute sauce made with melted butter, garlic, parsley and lemon juice. This easy sauce goes with everything!
Pan Fried Garlic Asparagus
- 450 g fresh asparagus spears woody ends snapped off
- ⅓ cup coarse stale breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon salted butter divided
- 1 garlic clove crushed / minced
- In a medium pan, melt 2 teaspoon of butter over medium heat. Add crumbs and fry for 3 - 4 minutes or until crisp. Remove to a bowl, and carefully wipe out pan with kitchen towel / paper.
- Add remaining 2 teaspoon of butter to pan. Add asparagus to pan & fry, turning frequently until spears have a slight bend to them when tested - see notes.
- Add crushed garlic and reserved crumbs to the pan with the asparagus, then immediately remove from the heat. Stir everything together for 30 seconds then serve.