Do you like your pasta with some oomph? Well then, my Fresh Chorizo Tomato Pasta with Bocconcini is the one for you!
This is a killer combo of spicy fresh chorizo, creamy bocconcini, sweet tomatoes & basil - served with silky pasta & topped with crunchy crumbs - interested yet?
I have to say that I thought this pasta was really, really, REALLY GOOD....even if I do say so myself!
It's super quick to whip up for a weekday meal because I have used fresh chorizo sausages just squeezed out of their casings to form the little bite sized meatballs. Any of you who have seen some of my previous recipes like Lamb Sausage Pasta with Basil & Tomato or Mushroom Gnocchi with Meatballs will know I love a sausage hack - maximum flavour for minimal effort because the combination of flavours is already in the sausage for you.
Fresh Chorizo Tomato Pasta with Bocconcini
- 500 g / 1.1 lbs fresh chorizo sausages
- 750 g / 1.6 lbs fresh roma / plum tomatoes usually approx 6 or 7
- 2 large garlic cloves - crushed
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- ½ cup fresh or day old breadcrumbs
- 200 g tub / 7 oz cherry bocconcini torn
- ⅓ cup fresh basil leaves firmly packed plus extra to serve (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves finely chopped
- 250 g / 8 oz dry fettucine / pappardelle pasta
- Remove sausage meat from casings, pinching into rough bite sized chunks as you go
- Slice tomatoes in half lengthways, and remove the seeds with either a melon baller, teaspoon or sharp knife & discard, then dice tomatoes
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to packet directions
- In a large non stick fry pan, melt butter over medium heat, adding breadcrumbs & rosemary and fry until crisp then remove crumbs to small bowl and set aside
- Add chorizo to the same pan, frying over medium high heat until chorizo is lightly browned & just cooked through (carefully absorb any excess oil from pan with kitchen towel/paper - see my notes)
- Add ¾ of chopped tomatoes to pan and fry for 2 mins or until tomatoes start to break down
- Add garlic to tomatoes in pan & fry for 30 seconds, then add wine and simmer on medium low heat for 5 mins to thicken
- Add pasta & remaining chopped tomatoes to chorizo & tomato mixture & turn to coat. Turn off the heat then add basil and bocconcini giving one final quick mix to coat
- Divide pasta among bowls, top with rosemary crumbs & extra basil to serve if you wish