Easy Garlic Hummus - just as it says - EASY! A lightly spiced creamy combination of chickpeas, roasted garlic & sesame, balanced with a zing of lemon.
I have used oven roasted garlic for this recipe (please don't stop reading!) but all you need to do is literally stick the slightly squashed cloves in the oven for 15 mins - that's it! Oven Roasted Garlic.
Just as an interesting side note on the whole oven roasted garlic thing...please don't JUST put the cloves in the oven and bake as some other websites might suggest, or in a few minutes you will end up with little bits of exploded unroasted garlic and skin all over the inside of your oven.☹ I'm just glad I was in another room when they went "BANG" - I am a bit jumpy at the best of times and something tells me that this would have been one of those times! Well, you live and learn - just consider me your own personal crash test dummy chef (required!)
SO, the lesson here is to cut off the little hard end-piece off the clove and squash it just slightly, before putting them in the oven. You are welcome.
Anyway - back to the hummus! After you have roasted the garlic cloves (for a WHOLE 15 mins!) just add everything to a food processor and blend, and your toasted sesame seeds, taste for seasoning & done. Super simple.
Your "non-exploding-garlic-tester-chef" not required...
Easy Garlic Hummus
- 2 x 400g canned chickpeas 1 drained/1 drained & liquid reserved
- 3 medium garlic cloves unpeeled
- 1 tbsp. olive oil + extra to garnish
- ⅓ cup tahini
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- juice of 2 medium lemons reserve 2 tbsp. for adjusting
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds
- salt to taste
- Pre heat oven to 180c.
- Trim the hard end off the garlic cloves, then squash slightly with the flat of your knife, then put the cloves on a baking tray and bake for 15 mins or until soft when pressed lightly with your finger.
- Squeeze garlic from their skins, mash with a fork & let cool.
- Meanwhile place the sesame seeds in a small non-stick fry pan, and roast over low heat for 3-5 mins, or until lightly roasted, let cool.
- Add chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, coriander, cumin, lemon juice, garlic & 2 tbsp. of reserved chickpea liquid to a food processor and blend.
- Taste, then add reserved lemon juice & chickpea juice as required (see notes), garnish with extra olive oil if using and serve.