These little garlic bread snack cubes will be our garlic bread go-to at home from now on. They have everything you want in garlic bread – lightly crunchy outside texture with a centre that is still slightly chewy, all made even better with garlic-butter goodness…
I stumbled across a recipe on Epicurious for Bite-Size Garlic Bread with Fresh Herbs, and thought they looked so good that I would make my own version, hence Crunchy Garlic Bread Bites. I made these recently when we had relatives staying, and they proved a real hit – everyone including all three kids loved them!
We usually eat them as you would garlic bread – as a side dish with our main meal – but they would also be fabulous as an appetizer at your next get-together.
Normally I use fresh sourdough for this recipe, but on the occasion I took the photo above, I used sourdough that was three days old (please excuse the dreadful photo – this was taken in my VERY early blogging days).
As you can see they are more dry and crisp than the top photo using fresh bread. ( I left the bread in it’s original packaging for three days so I could use it as an experiment – turned out great! See my notes if you are not using fresh bread) I have also made the recipe using half a loaf of sourdough and just halving everything else to serve less people. Or just make the whole loaf anyway – I don’t think you will have much left over!
Chef not required…
** Please note reposted on 26-01-2018 with updated (and more appetizing!) first photo!
Crunchy Garlic Bread Bites
- 1 Loaf sourdough bread - see notes mine was 520g
- 100 g salted butter
- 1 large garlic clove - crushed
- 1/2 cup mixed fresh herbs to garnish I used a mixture of parsley with a little oregano & thyme
- Pre heat oven to 230c
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Place butter in a small heat proof bowl and microwave for 30 seconds, or until melted, then add crushed garlic.
- Meanwhile, remove crust from bread and cut into 2cm or 3/4 inch cubes - see note.
- Place bread cubes in an even layer on baking sheets, and bake for 5 mins.
- Remove cubes from oven (reserving baking paper) and place in a large heat proof bowl.
- Slowly drizzle garlic butter on to cubes, mixing to coat as you go - I use a pastry brush for this - trying to get the cubes as well coated as you can.
- Place cubes back on baking paper lined trays in a single layer, bake for 3-5 mins, depending on your desired amount of colour and crunch.
- Remove from oven, toss lightly with herbs, serve immediately.