The idea behind 2 Way Dinners is that it saves you time (yay!) and money (double yay!!) by allowing you to take advantage of supermarket specials or buying in bulk – but without giving up variety. You just need to plan a bit ahead – which is what I’ve done with these kind of recipes…I’ve done all the planning for you! (After all – that’s what I’m here for!)
This recipe is a rustic style hot pot of chicken and veg with a “creamy” mustard sauce – but with NO CREAM! It’s all made in one pot so there’s not much to wash up…and my husband Peter said, and I quote “it tastes better than it looks”… gee thanks!
I will admit that it’s not the prettiest plate of food I’ve ever served him, but it tasted GREAT and I think it looks good!
The 2 Way Dinner for this recipe is Chicken, Bacon & Potato Pots – little pots of chickenie baconie (aren’t they words in your house?!) goodness, flavoured with thyme and topped with scalloped potato with a dash of cream this time. Wow. We couldn’t eat these fast enough!
"Creamy" Mustard Chicken - 2 Way Dinner
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 1.6 kg skinless chicken thigh fillets trimmed and halved
- 4 garlic cloves crushed/minced
- 1 leek or large onion chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 carrots cut into thickish rounds
- 500 g mini/chat/baby potatoes quartered
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary - finely chopped 1/2 tsp dried
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 tbsp. French mustard
- salt and pepper
- Pre heat oven to 160c.
- Coat chicken in flour, reserving excess flour.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-based flameproof casserole dish and brown chicken all over, then remove to a plate.
- Add leek, carrot, potatoes and garlic and fry for 1-2 mins.
- Add remaining flour and fry for a further 1-2 mins.
- Add wine and simmer for 1-2 mins, scraping any brownings from the base of the pan.
- Stir in Dijon mustard, add chicken and stock and bring to a simmer.
- Bake, covered for 1 hour.
- **if making 2 Way Dinner remove 500g of chicken (shred) & 1 1/2 cups of sauce (without veg)**
- Remove from oven. Stir through French mustard and rosemary.
- Simmer on stove uncovered for 20 mins then serve.