Today I have combined several holiday favourites into one (or two) glorious little bites of fudgy, holiday goodness...
I LOVE Christmas pudding (made using my third generation family recipe!)...and I LOVE fudge...so I came up with a Christmas Pudding Fudge recipe.
This recipe is a bit of a hybrid, what I wanted was the flavours of our family Christmas pudding, but encased in an easy chocolate fudge. No thermometer, just simple to make fudge. I think I did pretty good - if the container in the fridge that keeps getting that little bit lighter each day is anything to go by! The only problem is that I don't think I'm getting any lighter!
These are a cinch to make, just soak your dried fruit in rum for 24 hours (trust me - it's worth the wait) then melt everything together in a saucepan. Let it set then slice it into squares and toss them in some coconut. Like I said, easy fudge. Really easy Christmas Pudding Fudge.
The Christmas pudding recipe that I have based this fudge on was passed on to me by my wonderful mother-in-law Kath, and she makes it for the family every year. The recipe was originally given to her by her mother-in-law, and I made the pudding for my now husband to celebrate our first Christmas together as a couple.
Knowing the history of the recipe makes it extra special.
Christmas Pudding Fudge
- 275 g sultanas 1 ½ cups
- 70 g glace cherries ⅓ cup - roughly chopped
- ¼ cup dark rum
- ¼ tsp vanilla essence
- ⅛ tsp lemon essence
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- larger pinch of mixed spice
- ½ tsp molasses
- ⅛ tsp fine salt
- 450 g milk chocolate melts 3 cups
- 395 g can of condensed milk
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- Start this recipe a day ahead.
- In a small leakproof container combine the sultanas, rum, essences & cherries, place the lid on to seal then give the container a good shake to distribute. Allow to sit for 24 hours, shaking the container periodically to redistribute the rum.
- Grease and line an 18cm square (7") baking tin (leave some baking paper overhanging for removal) and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over very low heat, melt together the chocolate and condensed milk for 5-7 minutes or until smooth, then remove from heat.
- Add fruit/rum mixture, molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice & salt to the melted chocolate, then mix to combine.
- Pour chocolate mixture into prepared tin, smoothing the top.
- Refrigerate for approx 1 ½ to 2 hours, or until firm.
- Remove fudge from tin using overhanging baking paper, and slice into 36 squares. Coat each square in coconut.
- Keep refrigerated.