It's coming into the colder weather here in Australia, so today I'm bringing you a quick and hearty dish - Chicken Bacon Mushroom Stew. Simple sauteed chicken...... to which I have added mushrooms & smokey bacon. Then finished it with some spices for warmth & good dollop of sour cream.
There's nothing quite like a stew to warm you up, comfort food at it's best. I like to serve it with a big fluffy pile of mashed potatoes...mmmm...(that's actually the noise I was making in my head!) If you would like some inspiration to fancy-up your mash you can check out my Pimp Your Mash category for some ideas.
My Chicken Bacon Mushroom Stew comes together in just 40 mins, so it's great for a weeknight dinner.
Chicken Bacon Mushroom Stew
- 500 g chicken tenderloins/tenders chopped
- 250 g streaky smoked bacon rashers roughly chopped
- 300 g button mushrooms thickly sliced
- ¼ cup plain/all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus extra if needed
- 4 fresh garlic cloves crushed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoon sour cream I use light
- salt & pepper
- In a large pan/skillet over medium high heat, fry bacon for 2 - 3 minutes, or until the fat starts to render. Then add sliced mushrooms and continue to fry for another 2 - 3 minutes, or until the mushrooms start to colour then remove bacon & mushrooms to a plate
- Allow pan to reheat, meanwhile toss chicken in seasoned flour. Add oil to pan then fry chicken, stirring constantly over medium high heat until browned on all sides (add some more olive oil to the pan if chicken is sticking) - chicken won't be cooked through at this stage - add crushed garlic and cook for 1 - 2 mins
- Add mushrooms & bacon mixture back to the pan, along with chicken stock, paprika, ground coriander seeds & thyme leaves and stir to combine
- Allow stock to come to a simmer, scraping the flavour spots from the base of the pan. Once sauce is simmering, cover & simmer over low heat for 5 mins or until chicken is cooked through
- Stir through sour cream and serve