I just love the taste of cheese together with herbs & garlic...
Would you like garlic or herb bread with your meal, the wait staff ask...well can I have both? And throw in some sstttrrreeeetchyyyyy cheese for good measure!
So here it is, my version of flatbread stuffed with cheese, garlic & herbs. Also only 30 mins start to finish! I have said the recipe serves 4, and this assumes one 14cm or 5 ½ inch round per person - if you wanted to serve 8 you could just go half a round per person.
Hope you enjoy them - we did at our house!
PS Looking for another quick, cheesy bread recipe without having to mess around with yeast? Why not check out my recipe for Quick Garlic Rolls (No Yeast).
Cheesy Garlic Flatbread with Herbs
- 1 cup Self Raising flour - sifted
- ¾ cup / 170g low fat greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups/ 140g shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 garlic clove crushed/minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh oregano leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 pinches fine salt
- In a medium bowl combine yoghurt and oil, mix to incorporate fully.
- Add SR flour and a pinch of salt to the yoghurt and mix to combine (see notes).
- Turn on to a lightly floured board/surface and knead lightly to make a smooth ball.
- Divide dough ball in half, then divide each ball in half again, then divide those 4 balls in half again - you will end up with 8 even size balls (see notes).
- Roll out each ball of dough into 14cm or 5 ½ inch rounds (see notes).
- Mix together grated cheese, herbs, garlic & remaining pinch of salt until thoroughly combined - I use my hands for this so I can distribute the garlic evenly throughout the grated cheese.
- Take one round of dough & lightly moisten 1 ½ cm or ½ inch around the edge of the round with water using a pastry bush or your finger.
- Place ¼ of the cheese mixture in an even layer in the centre of the round of dough, stopping at the moistened edge.
- Place another dough round on top and join together starting at one side, pushing out any air pockets as you go, pressing the edges to seal (see notes).
- Repeat to make 4 completed rounds.
- Heat a large non-stick fry pan over medium low heat.
- Brush one side of each flatbread round with melted butter and fry butter side down for 3 minutes, meanwhile brushing the second side with melted butter and then turn over and fry for another 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.