I just love the taste of cheese together with herbs & garlic...
Would you like garlic or herb bread with your meal, the wait staff ask...well can I have both? And throw in some sstttrrreeeetchyyyyy cheese for good measure!
So here it is, my version of flatbread stuffed with cheese, garlic & herbs. Also only 30 mins start to finish! I have said the recipe serves 4, and this assumes one 14cm or 5 ½ inch round per person - if you wanted to serve 8 you could just go half a round per person.
Hope you enjoy them - we did at our house!
PS Looking for another quick, cheesy bread recipe without having to mess around with yeast? Why not check out my recipe for Quick Garlic Rolls (No Yeast).
Lamb Sausage Pasta with Basil & Tomato
Creamy Crab Pasta with Chilli and Basil
Table of Contents
Cheesy Garlic Flatbread with Herbs
- 1 cup Self Raising flour - sifted
- ¾ cup / 170g low fat greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups/ 140g shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 garlic clove crushed/minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh oregano leaves roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 pinches fine salt
- In a medium bowl combine yoghurt and oil, mix to incorporate fully.
- Add SR flour and a pinch of salt to the yoghurt and mix to combine (see notes).
- Turn on to a lightly floured board/surface and knead lightly to make a smooth ball.
- Divide dough ball in half, then divide each ball in half again, then divide those 4 balls in half again - you will end up with 8 even size balls (see notes).
- Roll out each ball of dough into 14cm or 5 ½ inch rounds (see notes).
- Mix together grated cheese, herbs, garlic & remaining pinch of salt until thoroughly combined - I use my hands for this so I can distribute the garlic evenly throughout the grated cheese.
- Take one round of dough & lightly moisten 1 ½ cm or ½ inch around the edge of the round with water using a pastry bush or your finger.
- Place ¼ of the cheese mixture in an even layer in the centre of the round of dough, stopping at the moistened edge.
- Place another dough round on top and join together starting at one side, pushing out any air pockets as you go, pressing the edges to seal (see notes).
- Repeat to make 4 completed rounds.
- Heat a large non-stick fry pan over medium low heat.
- Brush one side of each flatbread round with melted butter and fry butter side down for 3 minutes, meanwhile brushing the second side with melted butter and then turn over and fry for another 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
These were sensational! Super easy. Made them with my 10 year old after school and she loved them!
Only thing I changed was I put minced (jar) garlic in the actual dough and used a little less cheese in the filling - but they were perfect. thank you
Hi Soula, glad you liked them so much!!! 💕 Thanks for taking the time to let me know,
This recipe is awful. Everything went well until I started assembling the pastry. It just fell apart and was impossible to cook. When I tried to flip it it just crumbled. I took it out of the pan and tried frying little balls, which just ended up not cooking. Then I baked it and it didn't rise at all. Waste of my food , and my time. Not to mention it got EVERYWHERE! Definitely would not recommend this recipe, it makes me angry..
Hi Aurelia, thanks for taking the time to write in. I'm sorry to hear the recipe didn't work out for you.
Božanstveno jelo, čestitam.
Hi Bozena! Hvala vam puno. Drago mi je da ste uživali! (I hope I said "Thank you very much. Glad you enjoyed it!" hehe) Lee-Ann x