This fresh Carrot Orange Salad is the perfect salad for entertaining – simple to pull together but full of flavour AND looks super fancy!
Quick but impressive is how I would describe this Carrot Orange Salad – you get a lovely citrus zing from the oranges, sweetness from the carrot and dates, a tiny bit of bite from the red onion, crunch from the pistachios and then combine that with some fresh herbs and you have a well-balanced mouthful!
How do you make Carrot Orange Salad?
- Place the dry couscous in a heatproof bowl, then add the boiling hot stock and mix to moisten. Cover with plastic wrap/clingfilm and let sit for 3 minutes. Remove plastic wrap and stir slightly – see Image (1).
- Add chopped red onion – see Image (2)
- Add grated carrot – see Image (3)
- Peel and segment the oranges. Take a very sharp knife and cut down each side of the membrane of a segment, this will enable you to pop the slice out – see Image (4) plus see my video to see how to segment the oranges.
- Squeeze the cores of the oranges over the bowl to release any remaining juice – see Image (5).
- Add chopped fresh dates to the bowl – see Image (6).
- Add coriander – see Image (7).
- Add sliced mint – see Image (8).
- Add chopped pistachios – Image (9).
- Add olive oil – Image (10) – then mix it all up and you’re done!
I hope you enjoy this naturally sweetened salad!
Carrot Orange Salad
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup chicken stock boiling hot
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 2 oranges segmented, and cores reserved
- 4 fresh dates finely chopped
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1/4 cup pistachios finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves - loosely packed sliced
- 2 cups fresh coriander leaves - loosely packed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place couscous in a large heatproof bowl, then pour over boiling stock. Mix to completely moisten all of the couscous, then cover tightly with cling film and set aside for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, remove cling film and stir the couscous.
- Add chopped onion, chopped dates, grated carrot, orange segments, coriander, mint & pistachios to the couscous and mix well to combine (for instructions showing how to segment oranges see my notes or my video at the end of the recipe).
- Take the leftover orange cores and squeeze them between your hands over the salad to release any remaining juice, add olive oil to salad and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, then serve.