This fresh Carrot Orange Salad is the perfect salad for entertaining – simple to pull together but full of flavour AND looks super fancy!
Quick but impressive is how I would describe this Carrot Orange Salad – you get a lovely citrus zing from the oranges, sweetness from the carrot and dates, a tiny bit of bite from the red onion, crunch from the pistachios and then combine that with some fresh herbs and you have a well-balanced mouthful!
How do you make Carrot Orange Salad?
- Place the dry couscous in a heatproof bowl, then add the boiling hot stock and mix to moisten. Cover with plastic wrap/clingfilm and let sit for 3 minutes. Remove plastic wrap and stir slightly – see Image (1).
- Add chopped red onion – see Image (2)
- Add grated carrot – see Image (3)
- Peel and segment the oranges. Take a very sharp knife and cut down each side of the membrane of a segment, this will enable you to pop the slice out – see Image (4) plus see my video to see how to segment the oranges.
- Squeeze the cores of the oranges over the bowl to release any remaining juice – see Image (5).
- Add chopped fresh dates to the bowl – see Image (6).
- Add coriander – see Image (7).
- Add sliced mint – see Image (8).
- Add chopped pistachios – Image (9).
- Add olive oil – Image (10) – then mix it all up and you’re done!
I hope you enjoy this naturally sweetened salad!
Carrot Orange Salad
Carrot Orange Salad - a fresh orange salad recipe with sweet dates and fresh herbs, plus a video showing how to segment oranges.
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup chicken stock boiling hot
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 2 oranges segmented, and cores reserved
- 4 fresh dates finely chopped
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1/4 cup pistachios finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves - loosely packed sliced
- 2 cups fresh coriander leaves - loosely packed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
Place couscous in a large heatproof bowl, then pour over boiling stock. Mix to completely moisten all of the couscous, then cover tightly with cling film and set aside for 3 minutes.
After 3 minutes, remove cling film and stir the couscous.
Add chopped onion, chopped dates, grated carrot, orange segments, coriander, mint & pistachios to the couscous and mix well to combine (for instructions showing how to segment oranges see my notes or my video at the end of the recipe).
Take the leftover orange cores and squeeze them between your hands over the salad to release any remaining juice, add olive oil to salad and mix well.
Add salt and pepper to taste, then serve.
To segment the oranges, using a very sharp knife first slice a round of skin off the top and bottom of the orange. Then place the orange on a flat surface (top or bottom up) and using your knife, slice down the outer edge of the orange, following the natural curve of the fruit to remove the rest of the skin. This will help you keep the maximum amount of orange flesh with minimal pith.
Then to remove the segments, work with one segment at a time and slice down each side, as close as you can to the membrane without cutting it. Once you have made the second slice on that segment, gently use the blade of your knife to pop out the segment.
For a visual demonstration see my photos in the post above the recipe, or my video just below the instructions.
*Please note that the amount of calories per serve is provided as a guide only, as ingredients and cooking methods can vary greatly*