I love a melt & mix recipe, and this one is no different. Butter Pecan Slice - we call it a "slice" here in Australia, but US readers will know them better as "bars" - either way they taste great!
A crumbly shortbread base, with a simple topping of buttery, brown sugar & pecan goodness - like little squares of pecan pie... Mmmmmmm. It also isn't too sweet.
If you are a fan of melt & mix slices or bars, why not try my Easy Date Slice Recipe - Melt & Mix. My most popular post by far!
This one is such a quick & simple recipe, that I'm going to make the post quick & simple. They taste REALLY good. End of story.
Butter Pecan Slice - Melt & Mix
- 250 g salted butter - roughly cubed divided
- 1 1/2 cups 225 g plain/all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup 50 g raw caster sugar
- 2/3 cup 140 g light brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 cup 100 g pecans roughly chopped (see notes)
- Pre heat oven to 180c ff
- Grease & line an 18 cm x 18 cm/7" x 7" baking tin & set aside.
- Microwave 150 g of butter on high for 1 - 1 1/2 mins or until melted (cover the bowl with a piece of paper/kitchen towel to keep your microwave clean).
- Add raw caster sugar to butter, mixing to combine & melt sugar.
- Add flour, mixing to combine, then press mixture into prepared tin, using a silicone spatula or similar to create an even layer (see notes).
- Bake for 10 - 12 mins or until just cooked through then set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare the topping by microwaving the remaining 100 g of butter on high for about 1 min, or until melted.
- Add light brown sugar & vanilla paste to butter, mixing to combine & melt sugar.
- Add chopped pecans to butter mixture & mix to combine.
- Add eggs to butter mixture, mixing well to combine.
- Pour butter pecan mixture over prepared shortbread base, evenly distributing pecans as best you can.
- Bake for 25 mins or until centre of topping is cooked & set.
- Allow to stand for 15 mins then cut into 16 squares.