I love a melt & mix recipe, and this one is no different. Butter Pecan Slice - we call it a "slice" here in Australia, but US readers will know them better as "bars" - either way they taste great!
A crumbly shortbread base, with a simple topping of buttery, brown sugar & pecan goodness - like little squares of pecan pie... Mmmmmmm. It also isn't too sweet.
If you are a fan of melt & mix slices or bars, why not try my Easy Date Slice Recipe - Melt & Mix. My most popular post by far!
This one is such a quick & simple recipe, that I'm going to make the post quick & simple. They taste REALLY good. End of story.
Table of Contents
Butter Pecan Slice - Melt & Mix
Tender & crumbly shortbread base, topped with a combination of butter, pecans & brown sugar.Print Pin Rate
- 250 g salted butter - roughly cubed divided
- 1 ½ cups 225 g plain/all purpose flour
- ¼ cup 50 g raw caster sugar
- ⅔ cup 140 g light brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 cup 100 g pecans roughly chopped (see notes)
- Pre heat oven to 180c ff
- Grease & line an 18 cm x 18 cm/7" x 7" baking tin & set aside.
- Microwave 150 g of butter on high for 1 - 1 ½ mins or until melted (cover the bowl with a piece of paper/kitchen towel to keep your microwave clean).
- Add raw caster sugar to butter, mixing to combine & melt sugar.
- Add flour, mixing to combine, then press mixture into prepared tin, using a silicone spatula or similar to create an even layer (see notes).
- Bake for 10 - 12 mins or until just cooked through then set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare the topping by microwaving the remaining 100 g of butter on high for about 1 min, or until melted.
- Add light brown sugar & vanilla paste to butter, mixing to combine & melt sugar.
- Add chopped pecans to butter mixture & mix to combine.
- Add eggs to butter mixture, mixing well to combine.
- Pour butter pecan mixture over prepared shortbread base, evenly distributing pecans as best you can.
- Bake for 25 mins or until centre of topping is cooked & set.
- Allow to stand for 15 mins then cut into 16 squares.
The timing in this recipe relies on multi-tasking. While the shortbread base is in the oven baking, mix up the topping ingredients. A note about chopping your pecans - how roughly (or not!) you chop them is up to you. You could even leave them whole if you want too. Just remember that the appearance of your finished product will depend a lot on the size of your pecan pieces. Large pieces (or whole) of pecans are hard to cut through to create your cute little squares without making a bit of a mess of your topping. Still tastes fabulous but if you like your slice/bars to be neat then I would go for a finer chop. The more even your shortbread base is prior to baking, the more even your layer of topping will be. For example if one side of your base is higher than the other, your topping will be uneven as it is quite liquid and will just run to the lowest point. Not what we are aiming for. *Please note that the amount of calories per serve is provided as a guide only, as ingredients and cooking methods can vary greatly*
Forgot to ask!!!.......can I use fresh dates in the recipe.....I kn ow you said use dried....but I have Medjool fresh or semi dried....is there a reason you say to use dried only????
Fresh dates will work fine Colly, I only used “dried” because fresh dates are expensive where I am. I haven’t seen semi-dried on my supermarket shelf, but they sound like they would work too.
Happy baking! L x
Lee Ann...........I am so glad I subscribed to your page. I don't do anything on Twitter Facebook etc.
BUT to be able to get your super recipes is wonderfull.............thank you so much
Colly from Cooloola Cove Qld
❤️ you have made my day Colly - feedback like that keeps me going!
Made your pecan slice using chopped dates instead. I chopped the dates and added the chopped butter and put in microwave until butter melted. Gave a quick stir and left for one minute before adding the sugar and the eggs. Yummy variation!!!!
Great idea!!! So glad you enjoyed the recipe and made it your own. I agree, sounds yummy!
Thanks for sharing 😊 L x