A whole crab cake in one crunchie but creamy mouthful - need I say more? Crispy on the outside, moist centres of cheese and crab yumminess with just a touch of heat...
I know what you're thinking...they look really hard to make/I don't have the time/are they worth the effort? Yeah, I get it, however...the reply to all of these questions/objections is...
wait for it...
MINI MUFFIN TINS!!!!!
The outside crumb couldn't be simpler, just mix together panko breadcrumbs with melted butter then pile into mini muffin tin holes, press in the centre to make a cup shape, add filing then top with more crumb. Done.
You won't believe how easy these are to make, and they taste ah-maze-ing. The above photo gives you an idea of their size - compared to the lemon in the top right corner.
I wasn't joking - just ONE perfect bite.I
dare you double dare you to stop at one, chef not required...
Baked One-Bite Crab Cakes
- 3 cups panko Japanese breadcrumbs
- 120 g salted butter
- 1 ¾ cup grated fresh parmesan cheese divided
- 140 g crab meat
- 200 g cream cheese room temperature
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon harissa paste
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh chives plus extra to garnish
- Pinch of fine salt
- Zest of 1 lemon finely grated
- Pre heat oven to 180c.
- Combine cream cheese & sour cream, mix until smooth, then add ¼ cup parmesan cheese, chives, lemon zest & salt, mix to combine.
- Add egg, harissa paste & crab & mix until just combined, then refrigerate until needed.
- Melt butter, add panko crumbs & remaining parmesan cheese and mix to combine.
- Lightly spray two 24 hole mini muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Fill the holes with panko mixture - to about ⅔ to ¾ full.
- Make an indent in the crumbs (I used the wrong end of an ice cream scoop - perfect size! or you could use your knuckle) this will create a "cup" of crumbs by compacting slightly on the base and the sides
- Fill each "cup" with about 1 to 1 ½ teaspoons of crab mixture, then sprinkle the remaining panko mixture on top.
- Bake for 17-18 mins, or until golden in colour & the centres feel set when pressed lightly.
- Allow to cool in tins for 5 mins, these ease bites out gently using a small silicon spatula or similar.
- Sprinkle with extra chives if using, then serve immediately.