This recipe combination might sound a bit strange at first, but I would encourage you to stick with me here...Avocado Shrimp Pasta with Bacon. If all of those main flavours - avocado, bacon and prawns (shrimp) - on their own are tastes that you like, then you will just LOVE this pasta!
You will probably notice that the shrimp (prawns) are chopped. I have done this for a couple of reasons.
I like to make my prawns stretch further, not just for my budget by also for my bowl = even prawn distribution!
Secondly, I like to get some of each element in every mouthful - hard to do when you are grappling with a whole prawn!
How to make Avocado Shrimp Pasta with Bacon
- To a heated pan, add olive oil and then fry some chopped bacon.
- Just when it gets to the point that you think the bacon is nearly done, add chopped prawns (shrimp) and minced garlic. Fry until the prawns just change colour.
- Add cream and lemon juice to the pan, bring it to a simmer and as soon as the cream starts to thicken then add the chopped avocado and cooked rigatoni pasta.
- Stir to coat and serve with fresh parmesan.
This would have to be one of my all-time favourite pasta dishes! Prawns (shrimp) and avocado are just a lovely flavour marriage, and then add bacon to the mix...well...as we know, bacon makes everything better!
Avocado Shrimp Pasta with Bacon
- 250 g dried rigatoni pasta
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 24 green king prawns / shrimp peeled & cleaned
- 4 rashers streaky bacon chopped
- 1 large ripe avocado chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced / crushed
- 300 ml thickened light cream 18% milk fat
- juice of 1 lemon
- fresh parmesan to serve
- Cook pasta according to package instructions and set aside.
- Meanwhile, chop prawns into 2 cm / ⅔" pieces - this means cutting each of my king prawns into thirds.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and fry bacon.
- When the bacon has some good colour, add the chopped prawns and crushed garlic and continue to fry until the prawns just change colour.
- Immediately add cream and lemon juice and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the cream starts to thicken, then add the chopped avocado and cooked pasta, stirring to coat.
- Add salt and pepper as desired, then serve topped with fresh parmesan.