Gin Mint Cocktail with Pomegranate
Gin Mint Cocktail with Pomegranate - this a fresh, citrus take on a gin cocktail using fresh mint, pomegranate and orange zest. A gorgeous party cocktail!
- 360 ml gin
- 1.8 L tonic I used diet tonic
- seeds from one pomegranate approx ⅔ cup
- 6 thick strips of orange rind from 1 small orange
- 6 fresh mint sprigs
Remove the seeds from the pomegranate (1) by cutting it in half, then holding it over a large bowl and giving it a firm smack with a wooden spoon or the flat side of a meat mallet (tenderiser) to release the seeds.
Lightly crush some of the seeds with the back of a spoon to release their juice.
Add pomegranate seeds and juice to a large jug, then add in mint leaves (6 sprigs) and thick strips (6) of orange zest.
Add gin (360ml), ice cubes and top with tonic (1.8L).
*Please note that the amount of calories per serve is provided as a guide only, as ingredients and cooking methods can vary greatly*
- When removing the seeds from the pomegranate please don't skip the part about putting it over a large bowl, it will splatter a lot!
- You could give the pomegranate halves a bash with anything you like really, but something a bit more solid like a sturdy wooden spoon or meat mallet will work better.
- You will want to rinse your hands as soon as you are finished removing the pomegranate seeds as the juice can stain your skin. If you have sensitive skin I suggest wearing gloves.
- If you can't buy a fresh pomegranate, you can buy the seeds alone in some supermarkets.
- I use a vegetable peeler to make the thick strips of orange rind. You want to have as little of the white pith on the rind as you can as it tastes bitter.
- I like to keep this cocktail as cold as I can. I do this by refrigerating the gin as well as the tonic, and then adding it in cold.
- The recipe ingredients make a pitcher or jug of this pomegranate mint cocktail to serve 6. You could easily scale the recipe down though to make individual cocktails.
- Garnish with another sprig of mint if you like, or a slice of orange.