Creamy Macaroni Salad
Creamy Macaroni Salad - fresh veggies combined with elbow pasta, then add a dressing of mayonnaise and sour cream with some mustard and garlic.
Servings 6 as a side
- 250 g elbow pasta / macaroni ½ lb
- ½ cup shallots / green onions / scallions approx 4 - finely sliced
- 1 cup finely diced red capsicum / bell pepper
- 1 cup grated carrot (see my notes)
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion / spanish onion (see my notes)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream I use low fat
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp fine salt or more to taste
Cook pasta (250g / ½lb) according to packet directions, then drain and set aside to cool.
Combine mayonnaise (½ cup), sour cream (½ cup), dijon mustard (3 tsp), garlic powder (½ tsp), vinegar (2 tsp) & salt (½ tsp) in a small bowl and mix well to combine then set aside.
In another bowl, combine the shallots (½ cup), red capsicum (1 cup), carrot (1 cup), and red onion (¼ cup) along with the cooled pasta and mix.
Add creamy dressing to pasta mixture, then give everything a good mix to combine. Add more salt if needed, and serve.
*Please note that the amount of calories per serve is provided as a guide only, as ingredients and cooking methods can vary greatly*
- I have grated the carrot using a standard box grater.
- I like to rinse the slices of red onion under cold running water then dry them with kitchen towel before I finish chopping them, this takes some of the bite out of the raw onion - totally optional.
- If red onion isn't your thing you could substitute finely chopped celery.
- I suggest assembling this salad just before serving, because as it sits the pasta will start to soak up the dressing. You can still make it ahead of time, just add the creamy dressing just before serving.