Potato and Pumpkin Ricotta Mash
Potato and Pumpkin Ricotta Mash - a creamy, cheesy, lightly spiced combination of pumpkin and potato.
Servings 4 as a side
- 650 g sebago potatoes approx 1cm / 1/3" even dice (see notes)
- 600 g butternut pumpkin approx 2cm / 2/3" even dice ( see notes)
- 2/3 cup smooth low fat ricotta I use the packaged kind from the refrigerator section of the supermarket
- 60 g salted butter
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp fine salt more to taste if you wish
- several grinds of fresh black pepper
Place pumpkin & potato in large saucepan and cover well with water. Cover, then bring to the boil
Cook for 8 - 10 minutes, or until starting to fall apart when tested
Drain very well, then mash to your desired consistency.
Add ricotta, butter, cumin and salt & pepper to taste. Reheat (see notes) if needed & serve
The size of your diced potato vs pumpkin is basically 1:2, whatever size you chop your potato, make the pumpkin roughly twice the size. I find this is an easy way to get them all cooked evenly at the same time. The cooking times I have mentioned in this recipe are for the size dice I have specified - the bigger your dice the more time you will need.
If you have read any of my previous mashed potato recipes, you will probably remember that I have no problem microwaving my finished mash to make sure it's hot when I serve it - this one is no different!
*Please note that the amount of calories per serve is provided as a guide only, as ingredients and cooking methods can vary greatly*