Just as the title suggests this is a really simple Easy Date Slice recipe. I’m a big fan of sticky date pudding, so I decided to make bars (or as we call it here in Australia “a slice”) with the same flavours. They are super moist with a slightly dense but crumbly texture.
If you like dates, you’ll LOVE these. The first batch went down a treat with the taste testers (my parents).
I shouldn’t be surprised that this was a recipe mum and dad enjoyed – especially my mum who loves sticky date pudding…there was the infamous incident of my now husband sharing a slice of sticky date pudding (1 dessert 2 spoons style) with his prospective mother-in-law one evening when the four of us were out to dinner.
He thought he was doing the right thing when the idea was floated – maybe she wants dessert but doesn’t want to eat it all? She would feel guilty leaving some on the plate? I assume that’s what went through his chivalrous mind – he’s like that, a total gentleman.
To this day Peter still laughs about how little of that sticky date pudding he actually got to eat, and refuses to share a dessert now with anyone at all – me included! I think it’s a case of once bitten…
Please enjoy my version of sticky date in moist, crumbly, tender slice.
If you are reading this post because you are fan of an easy melt & mix recipe, then you will love my latest simple melt & mix effort – Butter Pecan Slice.
PS When I mentioned to mum that I was going to include an anecdote about her (getting editorial permission!) in this post, I didn’t even need to tell her which story I was going to use – she guessed straight away!?
Makes 12 squares
Super simple Easy Date Slice Recipe - just melt and mix, done!
- 1½ cups or 200g chopped dates (dry not fresh)
- 1⅓ cups or 240g self raising flour - sifted
- ⅓ cup or 70g light brown sugar
- 150g salted butter - cubed
- 2 tbsp. golden syrup
- rind of 1 lemon - finely grated
- Preheat oven to 180c or 350f
- Grease and line a 18cm x 18cm or 7inch x 7inch (base measurement) baking tin and set aside
- Combine butter, sugar and golden syrup in a medium heatproof bowl (place a piece of kitchen towel/paper on top but not touching the contents - this will save your microwave from splatters)
- Microwave on high for 1 - 1½ mins until butter is melted, remove from microwave and mix to melt sugar and combine
- Meanwhile place flour, dates and lemon in a medium bowl, mix to combine
- Add melted butter mixture to dates and flour, and mix well to combine
- Press mixture into prepared tin, smoothing the top
- Bake for 13 - 15 mins, until top is golden brown
- Allow to cool in tin for 30 mins before cutting into 12 squares