This creamy crab pasta with chilli and basil is one of the most flavour-packed recipes I have EVER cooked in just TWENTY MINUTES!!! Sorry, I will stop shouting now.?
It is true though. A combination of tomato, basil, lemon, chilli & garlic added to sweet crab meat all together in a creamy sauce served with angel hair pasta – divine. If you aren’t a fan of chilli just leave it out and it still tastes great, but the cream actually cuts down the heat of the chilli quite a lot. Feel free to add more chilli if you like more heat as well!
The night I finished developing this recipe, I sat down to it for dinner and ate it so quickly that I kept burning my tongue (only a few times!) because I couldn’t eat the first few mouthfuls fast enough! (I’m sure you think that I am exaggerating, but I’m actually not!) A sure sign to me that I had the recipe right!
I use angel hair pasta because it cooks so quickly. You could use other pasta if you wish but it may add some cooking time.
Super quick and easy, but packed with flavour.
- 420g blue swimmer crab meat - drained & picked for shell
- 250g dried angel hair pasta
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 250g cherry tomatoes - cut into quarters or eighths if large
- 2 large garlic cloves - crushed
- 1 long red chilli - very finely chopped (see note)
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 300ml pure cream
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- grated parmesan to serve
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat
- Add tomatoes and cook, stirring for 1-2 mins or until tomatoes have started to break down
- Add garlic and chilli and cook, stirring for 1 min
- Add white wine to pan to deglaze (it might sizzle a bit) and bring to boil. Allow wine to simmer for 1-2 minutes or until it has reduced by about half
- Add cream, crab & basil to pan and leave on medium heat until cream starts to bubble and thicken just slightly
- Meanwhile cook pasta according to packet directions and drain
- Add lemon juice and drained pasta to cream & crab mixture, stirring to combine
- Top with parmesan if desired & serve immediately
You only need to add the crab at the end to heat through as it is already cooked.
You could also use another type of pasta if you wish, but the cooking time may vary.
***UPDATE*** I have changed the amount of crab meat from 280g to 420g - to better reflect an adult size portion.